Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"I wish I'd brought my knitting"

I never realized how much knitting helps me to wait. I do a lot of waiting. I wait on our rides, everywhere. Getting into my car when I want, and driving in a straight line to my destination? That's as alien to me as the concept of you getting into your spaceship and flying off to Jupiter. You can envision it, but it isn't real.

Once I get to work, for instance, I have to wait on deliveries (junk food, soda, milk, sandwiches, donuts, and repairmen). Once I'm done with work, I have to go outside and wait some more on my ride (could be anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours). When I'm on the ride, I wait some more while the driver makes other drop offs and pickups. A "straight trip"? That's a treat. The drivers seem to enjoy us and we do a lot of witnessing so I know God's got us where He wants us. The largest part of witnessing, in my opinion, is showing God's love. Don't get ugly and then talk about Jesus! I digress.

I wait hours a week, and I do it well. Because I bring my knitting. The rare times I forget to bring "Knitty", my knitting bag (currently a lime green beach bag from Walmart, holding balls of wool yarn and my F&F shawl), I realize how much I hate waiting.

My knitting makes an otherwise intolerable and exasperating wait into a time of joyful creation and creative expression. I love that knitting can make me such a wonderful person. The person who can smile at a deliveryman who's half an hour late on a freezing cold day. When the milk crate I'm sitting on is digging into my butt, making my legs numb. I wave cheerfully, stand up, and smile. And I mean it.

That's the day he told me he knew I was a Christian. Why? I asked. "Because I can see God in your actions."

No one has ever given me a better compliment. I'm glad I brought my knitting.

No comments: