Friday, January 8, 2010

Accident Day

Yesterday was the anniversary of Ron's accident. It's not surprising I got depressed. A brief montage of some memories:
Pain:
  • The look on "Lee's" face as he told me "Ron's been hit by a truck"
  • My frantic desire to reach Ron, as dear Lee got completely lost in the Medical Center.
  • My anger at Ron's family, who did not even try to contact me when they heard of his injuries. They told each other and raced downtown, completely forgetting me.
  • All the horrible hassles I endured because I wasn't legally married.
  • Battling to take Ron home.
  • Wondering when he'd wake up, if ever.
  • Wondering WHAT would wake up.

Surprises:

  • The amazing community at work, pulling together.
  • The astounding volume of phone calls.
  • The fact that a wife from the Blind Vendor program came to sit with ME, who cared about MY needs.
  • My aunt's compassion and advocacy for the both of us. She is an amazing, unpaid, social worker.
  • My family's support, inspite of my "sinful" relationship.
  • The money. Just when I needed it.
  • God's amazing provision for us, just when we needed it most.
  • Wonderful, compassionate, social workers.
  • Beautiful souls posing as Certified Nursing Assistants, who taught me EVERYTHING I needed to know about home care. Who knows how to empty a catheter bag? I didn't! I can make a bed, with someone in it, too.
  • The simple tasks people did for us, bringing Ron a takeout meal, a trip for me to Walmart, feeding my cat,
  • Doctors who performed life-restoring operations and recognized "He does better with you around".
  • Ron, for coming back from the dead for me!

No comments: