Monday, January 25, 2010

Deliver us from Evil

I have been slacking. While I pray fairly often, I spent a lot more time blogging than I do in prayer. I spend a lot more time vacantly staring at the TV, than praying. And, I haven't been praying for Thug Boy and Cohort.

Good old Thug Boy - the kid who mugged me last month. It's only been a month but it feels like a lot longer. I like to think I'm pretty much "over" it. Interestingly enough, the Devil chose a young man who fit the profile of most bigots - and also fit the profile of a Bible recipient! He was exactly the sort of young man I'd give a Bible, if I felt God leading me to do so.

He's also the sort of young man who shot me with a BB gun, while I was carrying 2 bags of New Testaments! That kid got me in July, hanging out the side of a car. The worst part of that experience - the heavy salve I applied to the bruising inhibited sweating, so I had a creepy "sweaty grease" appearance. That bruise lasted about 2 weeks, a lot longer than the mugging bruises.

I count it all an HONOR to get banged up for Jesus - and no permanent damage! God is great, and merciful. Anyway, he allowed Thug Boy and Cohort to mug me for, I feel, a couple of reasons: 1. Immediate high priority on the prayer list - whenever I had a flashback I would pray for them. I have also felt as though I should be praying for them daily, but I haven't been doing that. 2. God wanted me to be a LITTLE more careful. Be aware of surroundings, watch your back. Just because you live in a better neighborhood, doesn't mean you let your guard down.

I should be praying for both those kids, but I haven't. Oh, and they also fit the profile of our burglar - the one who broke into our garage, back in 2004, and made off with the lawnmower. I told Ron I feel as if I've been doing some racial profiling, but looking at my experiences I guess it's understandable.

I don't want to be a bigot, though. I want to be God's Daughter, and I want Him to be proud of me. Right now, I could use a little work on praying for my enemies. I don't really think they were enemies, though, just dumb pawns of the Devil - who I do take as a serious adversary. However, I'm with Jesus, and He's gonna win.

So, I'm sorry Lord. I haven't been praying for those who've done me wrong, although I sure talk as if I have. Please help me to see these guys as Your Children, precious to You. I can't do that on my own. Without you, I'm worthless and I know that. Help me to be a strong warrior for You. Help bring them to You, if that's Your will. Please protect them until they can make a choice for You. Help them to eliminate the negative influences from their lives, and guide them in Your wisdom.

Thank you for Your protection. I know You have done an amazing job of protecting me in some very bad areas. Help me to balance the security of knowing You're there, with the common-sense needed to operate in this evil world. Please deliver me from evil, if that's your will.

Thank you for all the wonderful things in my life, and please protect and encourage everyone who reads this. Thanks again!

H.

1 comment:

heidi said...

Heather I just stopped by to see what was going on in your world and nice to see a new post!

I think you have to consider if you lived somewhere else and all the kids who did this crap to you were blonde you might profile blondes you know ..I do not think that it has anything to do with color for you but familiarity ..I hope this makes sense ..but seriously it just happens that is who did these horrible things to you and if you lived in a place where things were different you would feel differently ..where some folks read as racist you NEVER do .it is more about circumstance than race in this case

keep on keeping on you are a good woman doing sweet things ..when the time is right you will pray

Heidi