Sunday, August 23, 2009

The needy and the greedy.

She wasn't white. If she had been, I would have been even angrier.

We went to Walmart today, my husband and I. He's on Social Security and Medicare, and I could be, but have chosen not to. I have "enough" - I have never gone hungry or had a serious worry about losing my home, so I think I should save the money for the "deserving".

My husband is very limited in his ability to support himself. I keep him out of a nursing home, active, and occupied. I save the taxpayers a lot of money as a result. I feel fine about that. We only take what we need. Years ago, I was offered food stamps when I had to apply for Medicaid. I refused. "I'm not hungry, I don't need them. I have enough to eat." The social worker was baffled. As soon as I got insurance, I turned off the Medicare, even though it was "cheaper". Currently, I'm uninsured.

I don't generally see myself as feeling "entitled" to anything other than closed-captions when I watch TV (due to my audio processing disability), and the use of the "Sit and Shop" wheelchair at Walmart if no one else is using it. My husband sits in the chair, I push it, and we shop together.

We're at Walmart. We pay for our own groceries as we always do. We pay for our own prescriptions, our own utilities, etc.

As I get into a short line, I notice a woman in front of us. She is well dressed, better than I am, in fact. She's wearing leather pumps and a nice suit. I'm wearing drawstring pants, a baggy t-shirt, and old slip-on shoes (due to my rash).

She has a car alarm keychain, a late model Toyota. It has the logo on the ring. She has a full keyring as well. She's wearing gold jewelry and her hair has been styled professionally, and recently. I'm overdue for a haircut.

She piles milk and various food stamp items onto the conveyor belt, and pays for them using the "WIC" card. Then she piles on premium brand diapers, wet wipes, expensive pacifiers, and various other items. She pulls out a roll of $20's and pays for them.

Had she bought basic brands, she could have covered the cost of the groceries. Ron wondered aloud why the transaction was taking so long, as the customer jabbered at the cashier in Spanish.

"Food stamps" I told him, as she glared at me.

Silly me. I thought welfare benefits were for the needy, those at risk of having hungry children without help. Not selfish, greedy people who only care about "What they can get" for having children.

God will rebuke her, in His time. Me, I have nothing to hide. I don't take what I don't need and I never will. Even if it means she has nicer hair, and a fancy car, while I ride the bus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are SUCH an asshole.

You so desperately want people to give you a pat on the back for looking after your own husband. You pretend to be such a martyr. You expect people to be proud because you aren't on assistance. Guess what? NO ONE CARES.

You're a racist pig - countless times your drivel consists of statements about people's race and/or color.

Your ramblings are boring. Just shut the fuck up. Please. Stupid cow.

Heather Knits said...

Let's all pray for this person, whoever they are. Somehow I don't think they know Jesus. Very sad. I will be praying for you, as mandated by Jesus.

FYI, I don't want anyone's approval. My job is pleasing God. I share my thoughts and opinions and no one is forced to read this blog. Obviously you get something out of it if you continue to read and post.

Go look at my rash pictures, maybe that'll make you feel better. (((Hugs)))