Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Hive(s)

It was horrible. Last Tuesday, as I sat on a stool at the loading dock, I fell over. One second I was talking to a forklift driver about gardening, the next I was falling onto a heavy duty metal cart. Fortunately, I caught it with my right thighbone. The femur is the toughest bone in the body, which is a good thing!

If I'd hit my head, I would have had to go to the hospital. We came home and I viewed my injury in the mirror. I have a spectacular bruise the size of my entire hand, and I also noticed some odd looking black dots on the backs of my thighs. I took a nap.

When I awoke, my skin was on fire. The hives began on the thighs, and worked their way down. I have hives on my feet, hands, arms, and legs. I have a few on my torso!

Here's a "better spot" that was fairly easy to photograph: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vbxA0--MaIdmy_X6-jlyzw?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPQ9tX9z_nDmQE&feat=directlink

You know how I feel about seeking medical attention, I waited a week. Finally, I couldn't take it for another minute. We went to that "new" doctor I'd found on a Day Out and he was great. He took one look at me and started writing on his prescription pad. Since he's a strip mall doc who deals with uninsured, I only spent $35 for 160g of steroid cream and a 5-day course of prednisone. He also wrote me a refill on the cream.

He was very kind and compassionate. I'd go back, and I'd take Ron. That's wonderful - everyone needs a good doc they can depend on.

Right now I'm doing my best to pamper myself, rest, and heal. More to follow.

No comments: