Thursday, August 20, 2009

Adverse Event

I'm still pretty miserable, it's going to take time to heal. I did feel like I got an adequate night's sleep. I woke up and took some benadryl, scratched a little and went back to sleep.

I decided to report my "adverse event" to the FDA Medwatch program. Why? Well, they already know the product can cause a rash, perhaps people on lithium are more prone to it? Maybe this batch was bad, and has caused others suffering. I have the medication, and I'm happy to send it wherever if they want to test it. I want to prevent other people from feeling like this if I can help it.

Also, when I contacted my pychiatrist he didn't really know how to treat it. He suggested benadryl, which I have been using. However, the most helpful thing has been a course of steroids, 40 mg prednisone, 20 mg am and pm. Also a steroid topical cream. I'd love it if Forest would put out a memo to the doctors, stating that a protocol of oral and topical steroids is helpful should this event occur. If my doctor had known they'd work, I'd be feeling a lot better right now!

I think that's the best reason of all to report an event, to prevent it from happening again, and to help alleviate suffering SHOULD it happen to some unfortunate person. I have no interest in money, it won't make me better. Knowing I might help prevent someone else from hurting brings me more comfort.

Depression can and WILL kill, sometimes you have to take a risk. A rash and case of hives is nothing compared to death or permanent disability from a failed suicide attempt.

It's the price tag, sometimes. I just hope no one else ever experiences what I have in the last week. I'll heal, but it's going to be a while!

I think the worst part of it, once I get past the physical misery, is not being able to shave my legs. UGH.

No comments: