Tuesday, August 25, 2009

On Race

A question was asked recently, why, in my other post, I would have been angrier if the woman was white.

First, let me tell you about the first black person I ever met. She was a professional, very polished and educated. She ran the daycare center. I attended every day. I greatly admired her, and she was the first stable female figure in my life. She was the same, day after day, a huge change from my family. My sister moved on, had her own life... my mother, but the teacher didn't.

She was probably the first woman I ever trusted. So, in my book, all black people were "cool". I attended a very affluent school district on the east coast. Our area was an international magnet, and we had many children from various cultures. It was pretty awesome, one of my best friends was a Cambodian girl. The boy down the street was Spanish. Leo spent every other year in Peru. All these children were from the upper crust of their societies, and I assumed all other cultures were similar.

It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I actually met a ghetto thug. It was a shock. Ron had grown up in a very poor area of Houston, and was once beaten up for "trying to act white" (he read a book for pleasure). He tells me of being bullied into lower grades, so he wouldn't make the other blind, "black" kids "look bad".

I don't care about anyone's color. Are they kind? Are they ignorant? Are they a Christian? Those are the questions that matter to me.

However, I do see "whites" as having had far more opportunities than most. If WE exploit a system designed to help people in need, stealing resources from truly hungry families, we are beyond the lowest of the low.

I can't think of a word vile enough to convey my disgust. I hate THEM - the users, the exploiters, the willfully ignorant... regardless of color.

Color is irrelevant. My husband is "black", my brother in law is Chinese, I tan VERY easily - we all come from God. Jesus died for all of us.

No comments: