Tuesday, November 25, 2008

If you'd like to help...

Many times, I approach a door, pushing my blind husband in his wheelchair. If nobody's around, or they don't feel helpful, I'll do a 180 and back up to the door. I open the door, and hold it with one arm as I back the wheelchair into the doorway. When I've gotten Ron far enough into the door, I'll let the door slam into the side of the chair and continue to slide it backwards until "we're" through.

Assuming the door swings inward, I will simply back up and shove with my butt until the door opens. It works well, I call it "Mighty Butt". Then I stick my arm out to the side to catch the door until Ron's through.

If you ever see us approaching, PLEASE do not stand IN FRONT of the door, holding it open for us. There's no way I can get him through the door without running over your feet or having to duck down under your arm. We'll all be very uncomfortable.

Please stand BEHIND the door as you hold it open. Either way, I'll say thank you and mean it.

No comments: