Friday, August 15, 2008

Lumpy

Things were pretty quiet for a while, except for my losing weight. I've lost 8 inches each off my waist and hips, only 4 more inches to go. Working out regularly, eating smart foods.

About a month ago Ron decided that his hand is bothering him enough to have surgery. Here's the press release from The Hand Center about the procedure:
"
THE HAND CENTER’S ARTHROSCOPIC INTERPOSITION ARTHROPLASTY PROCEDURE for treatment of basilar thumb joint arthritis. Continuing with Dr. Brown’s tradition of developing minimally invasive techniques to reduce patient pain, suffering and minimize recovery time (The Brown Procedure endoscopic carpal tunnel technique, Brown Endoscopic Trigger Release, BETR) Randolph Lopez, M.D. and the other Hand Center surgeons have developed a modified minimally invasive arthroscopic technique for treating the very common problem of basilar thumb joint (metacarpal-trapezial) arthritis which commonly causes pain at the base of the thumb.
Using a simple two-portal technique, the joint is resurfaced arthroscopically, and an acellular dermal matrix allograft or a type 1 collagen graft is interposed, acting as a much needed cushion in the joint. This is an outpatient procedure requiring NO stitches. The patient is placed in a removable thumb spica splint avoiding an uncomfortable cast and may resume normal activity in six weeks.
This procedure has revolutionized treatment of basilar joint arthritis, sparing large incisions, painful removal of bone and debilitating bone fusions.
Well, that's not so bad, except for the 6 weeks of me doing Ron's work and mine. He doesn't know about that yet. I'll sure lose weight!
But wait, there's more! About a month ago, Ron showed me a "Pimple". I'm a bit of an acne expert - I had my first pimple when I was about 9 - I still get one or two now and then but it's not bad. I told him we couldn't pop it because it didn't have a head.
Last week he called me over to look at his lump. It was about the size of a teaspoon. Now it's a little bigger than a tablespoon. Our doctor is fairly concerned. She sent him off for stat blood tests, which came back OK. Today was CAT scan and re-exam. Thank God "it" hasn't grown any more.
Since Ron had a similar, large, tumor on his neck as a child, it is most likely a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibromatosis Neurofibroma. Odds are very strong (90%) that it's benign, that's the good news. The bad news is these things can grow to be hundreds of pounds.
We have an appointment with an ENT surgeon (only in Houston can such a doctor be found within 10 miles of our home) who actually has an office in the same building as the Hand Surgeon.
I couldn't get all the sleep I needed this week and workouts went out the window, but I'm eating right. My body has rewarded me with a 1/4 inch loss off my waist just last night!
More as it happens.... H.

No comments: