Saturday, August 23, 2008

Bug out bag

When we left for the hospital, I brought a small (next time, large) cooler filled with low-carb snacks, my purse, and my bug out bag.

What the heck is that? Well, in my life I've found it handy to have a bag packed and ready to go at all times, because you just don't know what life's going to throw at you. One thing I'm working on now - loading all my digital photos and music onto a flashdrive. I can throw that in there too. I need to evacuate? Road trip? So what? I've got what I need.

So, what did I have?

  • Clothes. One time Ron was in the hospital and I had one change of underwear. I didn't get home for days and then my period started! YUCK. I brought a couple of t-shirts, a nice comfy pair of knit pants (drawstring waist, kind of scrub-like). I wore them to sleep and when I was awake. A fresh bra, 3-4 changes of underwear, t-shirts, and comfy pants and shorts.
  • A blanket for Ron, who's always cold. Everyone remarked on my wrapping technique. Ron kind of likes to be swaddled when he's sick.
  • Medication - a week's worth and extra lithium. Obvious.
  • Tunes. Both Ron and I brought our MP3 players. We loved having them. Extra batteries. I killed a battery while I was there.
  • Snacks - they went into my cooler.
  • Hygiene stuff - obvious for a woman of childbearing age.
  • Toiletries. I have them all set up in their own bag. Soap, lotion, q-tips (I need my q-tips), shampoo, etc. It was nice to use my stuff. Ron's room had a shower. Yay!
  • Entertainment. I brought a black and white knitting project. It was easy and fun. I should have brought more yarn, though. I almost ran out.
  • I also brought painkillers and pepto - which I use fairly often.
  • Next time I will bring some benadryl to help me sleep.

That's basically it. If it were a true bug out bag you would also add your ID documents, Deed to the house, credit cards, etc.

For my purposes, my current bag works great. I was so glad I could just grab it and go.

No comments: