Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My brain buddy

Debra Lafave got arrested. Fox News Reported: "According to a police report, Lafave spoke with her teenage co-worker numerous times about family problems, friends, high school, boyfriends and sex.

As part of her probation, Lafave is to abstain from contact with minors under 18 years of age"

I have bipolar disorder too. I never had sex with a younger man, in fact my "naughty boy" was 19 years older than me. He said I was pretty wild, too. I hope I still am. Anyway, she's got an illness.

I like to think, she was sitting at home, taking her pills, not drinking (it screws with the pills), keeping a stable schedule. She did everything she could to manage the disease to it won't manage her. We'll never know that, but I'm going to assume she was pretty consistent in following her routine.

Well, I'm going to compare myself to her for a moment. I am religious about taking my medication faithfully. I even talked to a compounding pharmacy and my psychiatrist about getting some lithium suppositories (during a migraine). However, even I have problems, setbacks and "relapses".

That's the nature of the illness, it comes back. Again and again and again. It's persistent. One feature with me, I always have a lot more energy, an unusual amount. Then I start talking. I don't shut up. I can't shut up. Ron calls me the "Yakinator" and he lets me know "You're doing it again." That's why I call him my brain buddy. He helps me confront my illness when I'm still in denial about my symptoms. It's not that bad, I think. Yes, it is. He tells me, right before he tells me to SHUT UP!

Then I call my doctor, get a Lithium level, and do whatever the doctor says with regards to my medication. I get better.

I hate to think Debra doesn't have a brain buddy, or she didn't listen. Because this is all probably due to her being a "Yakinator" because she was getting manic.

I'll be praying for her.

No comments: