Friday, December 28, 2007

Good news and a recipe

Hoo-yeah! I took a B-50 vitamin last night. I was thinking about my nutritional research, that most people with mood disorders have mega-deficiencies of B complex. So, I thought, it won't hurt me to take a B-50 (ALONG with my mood stabilizers and antidepressants) before bedtime. I was right. I felt a lot better even before I fell asleep and great today. I just had a couple of groggy "Pillow" hours where I felt like my brain was full of glue and everyone was speaking another language. Ron said I was a big help anyway and I told him I always love to hear it.

We had the microwave repairman come out. $352. OUCH. We do have two commercial microwaves up and running, but OUCH.

Dr Pepper made their delivery. I got my case of Diet Dr Pepper bottles because my husband loves me and wants to spoil me. After work we got BBQ. Yum.

When we came home I had a GOOD nap. I was flat for about 2 hours (my usual nap-time). I'd rather need a nap than be sick and delusional. Ugh.

Speaking of delusions, my antipshchotic is going generic tomorrow. YAY! Now, I love Janssen pharmaceuticals. They make a very good product, Risperdal. They made over 2.5 BILLION. With a B! On the product last year! Billion! B! Illion!

I won't feel guilty about buying the generic product at all. They've made enough money, I think! They've made at least $1000 just off of me in the last year. OUCH.

When I called my Wal-mart pharmacy, they said they didn't have anything in the computer yet. I hope they will put it in sometime tonight and they will have the generic available tomorrow. I can't tell you the joy I'll feel when I can afford my own medications. I don't made much, and $250 would eat up almost half my take-home. I could manage $90 or so, and hopefully it'll get even cheaper because the Lexapro goes generic in 2012.

Earlier this evening I wanted to try something new. I wanted to bake some Cornbread muffins with sweet potatoes. I love unsweetened sweet potatoes. I love cornbread. Why not marry the two? Why not? I also wanted it to be healthy so I put in some soy flour. If you hate the idea you can just use 1/4 c regular flour instead. Ron ate one and he didn't notice at all. He said it was "Very good".

I am thrilled with how well they turned out. They're a little spicy but I love them.

Sweet potato Cornbread muffins
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Makes 12 muffins

Dry ingredients:
3/4 C whole wheat flour
1/4 c soy flour
1/4 c Splenda
1 T baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/8 t cloves

Wet ingredients:
1/2 cup unsweetened mashed sweet potatoes (I can get them canned, but you may have to cook and mash them yourself)
2 eggs
1 c milk (I use instant milk and rehydrate it)
1/4 c vegetable oil

Stir together dry ingredients. In another bowl combine wet ingredients (beat eggs before adding). Mix well, then add to dry. Stir together only until smooth. Don't overmix. Pour into greased muffin pans and bake 12-15 minutes, or until brown.

Turn out onto bake rack and cool. Enjoy!

Yum! Yum! Yum! So good with butter. I am going to love a couple of these, first thing in the morning, with a glass of soy milk. They are perfect for taking my Lithium. I have to be careful to eat "enough" that I don't get sick, but not too much. These really fit the bill.

What's the deal with milk, anyway? I can't drink it or I get lactose intolerant symptoms AND a migraine. If I bake it into something, I'm fine. Huh???

I'm more excited about my pill going generic than I was about Christmas AND my birthday combined.

No comments: