Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Yesterday I set the ribs on fire

Yesterday, I set the ribs on fire. Too close to the coals.

I'd gone to work, went to Walmart, gone home, and fired up the smoker I just bought. I didn't have enough room for the pork butt roast (I think they call it a picnic shoulder? It was 4 pounds) AND the "Riblets", so I put the riblets on a lower shelf, closer to the coals.

I went out to check on them and the flames were licking at the pork roast, over a foot above the ribs! I carefully moved the roast rack, retrieved the grill basket containing the riblets, and removed the still-flaming riblets to the safety of a metal pan in the yard. I'd left the metal pan there for safety purposes, good thing. A few minutes later, the riblets were still flaming, so I put them out with the hose. One riblet was somewhat salavagable, Ron ate it and proclaimed it delicious, but "I won't eat this" holding up a crispy coal that had been edible meat.

The pork roast came out great, I stabbed it and stuffed garlic in the holes. I placed it so the fat plate was on top, to baste the meat as it cooked. I seasoned it properly, although to be honest all I really tasted was pork and garlic. I cooked it for about 3 hours until the internal temperature was over 165.

Ron disassambled the roast for me and put it into containers. The remaining leftovers will be frozen after I eat my breakfast tomorrow.

Today? I went to Foodtown first, and bought more delicious meat. I wanted a "Brisket Junior" a small brisket I could practice with to learn the secrets of good meat! I don't want to marry a large cut of meat, and to be honest I don't want to eat it all either. I'd die of boredom, no matter how tasty. So, I found a 1.5 pound brisket for about $4.

I've been wanting to get a wok, so I also bought stir fry beef. I'd picked up some delicious veggies, so I wanted to to kebabs, and I found beef tips all ready for kebabs (the label told me). All I need to do for them, soak some skewers, make a marinade, marinate the meat, cut up veggies, and impale same. Then cook until proper meat temp.

I considered pork chops, because Ron loved the smoked chops I prepared yesterday (the roast was done, the coals were hot, and the chops were in the fridge), but I didn't see any boneless ones in a small package. I also considered making some more "CheddarBurgers" but they grind the meat themselves at Foodtown, and they don't use chemicals. You only get a one-day sell by date.

I'll get the ground meat on Saturday, the day I cook the burgers. It's worth the trouble. I really want my meat to be free of flavor "enhancers" and preservatives if at all possible.

Three meats, plus sausage and leftovers. PLENTY of meat to get me to payday, and delicious veggies too. I got Ron the all-beef hot dogs he'd wanted.

I'm really looking forward to the kebabs. I'd decided to get myself a wok today, too.

I like the idea of preparing a stir-fry on a hot night. The meal is done in a few minutes, once you finish your food prep. You can cook about any meat, too.

But first, I had to get home from Foodtown. I did and put up the groceries, then out again.

Ron wanted some vitamins, and socks. That meant Walmart.

I had to wait with a rather unpleasant couple at the bus stop. They were both alcoholics, and she told me she had taken lithium. I had no trouble believing she was bipolar, because they had a vicious argument while seated next to me.

AWKWARD! I called Ron, just to remind them "I have a cell phone and I can call the cops, too." I would have walked to another bus stop but it would have been too far, and it didn't have a bench. To quote Ron, I had to suck it up.

The bus finally came and I went to Walmart. I got pretty dizzy walking across the parking lot but I lived. Plenty of exercise today!

I deliberated over "digestive products" and magnesium tablets, finally realized I could combine both needs, save money, and get some Epsom salts. So far, so good.

I got the stuff Ron wanted and stuffed it in my hand cart. I realized I could only meet Ron at Starbucks if I went "straight" (2 buses) from Walmart. If I'd made my stop at the Vietnamese market I'd be late. He would only be there 30 minutes and he couldn't change anything.

So, I went straight. He got there first and he bought me a heavy whipping cream thing. We had a good time, nice to know we can have simple pleasures. It was good to see him. The cab came to take him home, and he left.

NOW, I went to the market. I had good rides, not too long to wait. They didn't get all weird over my handcart. I got a lovely stainless wok, some chili paste, and some leafy green veggies. I recognized one of them as "Edible Chrystanthemum" - although the label wasn't in English. The other item, a bunch of leafy greens, looked like it belonged to the mustard family. It was nice and crunchy. I like the stems.

I'd brought an insulated tote bag for the greens. They never would have made it across the parking lot! I also had a large frozen "ice pack" item. It's a plastic rectangle filled with a substance. When frozen, it stays cold forever. I used that to chill the greens.

I forgot about them for a while after I got home, but they still seem perky. Yay! I hate wasting food.

I got home with my wok, my veggies, and my miscellaneous. I'd taken my lithium at Starbucks, I was fairly irritable.

I realized I needed lithium, NOW, and I had it. I felt better as it was absorbed by my system. It never ceases to amaze me, I have a pill. I can take this tablet, every day, multiple times a day, and all the Bad Thoughts and Bad Times are gone. No more Bad Days. No more battling constant suicidal impulses. I can't remember the last time I wanted to hurt myself.

It's a constant joy. Ron mentioned I seem to get so much enjoyment out of life. I told him, it's only in the last few years that I've been able to LIVE.

I can depend on my mind! If I get a hiccup or a shimmy, I just take a tablet and it goes away. How joyous! Every day is a constant joy, knowing it's going to be a good day.

I've been running a little depressed. I want to spend all day in bed, I want to sit and brood. I want to have pity parties for myself. But that won't help.

I'll take my lithium, and stay busy. I'll go with my latest interest of the moment, nurture myself with interesting meals - that edible chrysanthemum stir-fry was GOOD! I'll take care of myself, and appreciate myself for who I am. I am an original soul.

I'm the only Heather! Yesterday, I set the ribs on fire, today I bought a wok. Who knows what I'll do tomorrow but I know it'll be an adventure.

No comments: