Thursday, June 11, 2009

That's not going to happen

I logged into one of those "social networking" sites; my family wanted me to join so I did. I was somewhat disturbed by using my real, full name; but I want to be involved in their online adventures. I'm flattered they want me around, I wasn't easy to love for a very long time.

I logged in and was informed that I could now have people who are searching for "Houston Heather" - my blog and message board "handle" on the site, find my real name and statistics. That's not going to happen.

Earlier this year, I was harassed and threatened by some people who felt I wasn't a good wife to Ron. I dared to let him set off firecrackers, and I was "unfit". Totally disregarding the fact that my husband is a grown man who manages his business, does his own accounting, and pays all our bills; it was akin to letting a small child play with a loaded handgun.

They actually threatened to report us to adult protective services, and perhaps they did. I would pay to hear that conversation!

Until that point, I might have been willing to have my two identities merge - well, I don't want the Houston Chronicle gang knowing my last name, but the other message boards seemed harmless enough.

No more. Sadly, we do live in the end times. Whack jobs abound. People don't always take their pills, or have the awareness that they need medication. Some people have very empty lives and choose to fill them by judging how other people live theirs.

So, I won't be putting "Houston Heather" as a handle on that website. Sorry.

2 comments:

shyone said...

Hi Heather ..glad you had a wonderful vacation! I dont blame you at all for not merging yourself ..I feel the same way ..I will not let but a few folks know who I am elsewhere because the internet is HUGE and there are hurtful people out there!

Heather Knits said...

I KNEW you'd understand, H. (((hugs)))