Monday, September 28, 2009

This is MY town!



Today as I rode the bus downtown, we crested a small rise and the city spread out before us.




A vision somewhat like the one above. As I viewed the skyscrapers, looked around at my fellow bus passengers, I thought the same thing I always do:


Damn, I love this town.


I first visited Houston when I was about 10 and I loved it; but never gave it any further consideration. I later visited with my husband in 1994 and was hooked.


"Everyone" said that Houston had a lousy economy, but I found far cheaper apartments, nice sounding ones. The jobs were plentiful and paid just as well as the ones in Northern California. I gleaned all this from reading the paper. As we rode around, we'd see "Free Rent" and "We LOVE our residents!" banners outside apartment complexes. Let's just say I never saw THAT


I actually used to take the bus, on Sundays, two towns over to purchase a Houston Chronicle, which I then read cover to cover. Sadly, I'm a hypocrite. I don't even have a subscription! I bought books on everything Houston and longed for the day when my husband would decide he was ready to move.


When I finally gave up on "persuading" (nagging) him, God was able to work it out. We moved just a few months after I turned my dream over to God.

I love this town. I love the bus routes; and the bus drivers who make it all possible. I love my walk home from the bus stop, and the lovely stand of pines that always fragrance my air. I love the fat black cat in my driveway and my bed. I love the caring animal hospital that enabled my beloved Frosty to go out with a smile. I love walking along the Seawall in Galveston, and the kind and friendly people everywhere I go. I love my strip mall doctor, and the world-class medical center just 20 miles away. I love that when I mention "The Farmer's Market" people ask "Which one?" I love that I can go crosstown, to a completely different milleu, in about an hour. I love my disabled bus pass and the freedom it gives me. I love my psychiatrist and my pharmacist, who keep me running steady. I love the greenery. Life is rampant here. I love that a downtown bus, can, at one point, pass a goat ranch before the end of the line. I love the Postal Workers who smile at my blind husband as he fills the vending machines from his wheelchair.
Damn, I love this town.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love when I have time to read your Houston Adventures, thank you Heather as always

ps another grandchild coming this one is not a "surprise" ;)

hugs

scritches to your furbaby