Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Called to Evangelism by Christ Jesus

"For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any 2-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

"No one can come to Me (Jesus), unless the Father who sent me draws him...'They will all be taught by God.'. Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from Him comes to me." John, 6:44-45

My Mom talks about my "Ministry". I don't call it that... I'm just a saved sinner handing out Bibles to everyone. But if my "ministry" had a theme verse, it would be the above two. I don't tell people they're going to hell. I don't order them to repent. I don't preach salvation - but I put a "You're Special" salvation tract (either English or Spanish), a handwritten note ("I'll be praying for you daily!"), a Footprints bookmark / 10 commandments bookmark / and a "Read Your Bible in a Year" tract into the Bibles I distribute. People love the add-ons.

To my knowledge, I have not led one person to get saved. I've handed out Bibles to homeless men living under overpasses, scary looking thugs with gold teeth and baggy "draws", every bus and cab driver I meet, shoppers, people at bus stops, scantily dressed women, and every Child of God I encounter.

I can tell when someone should get a Bible - the Holy Spirit kind of gives me a little "bump". I get out the appropriate Bible (living in Houston, I carry both English and Spanish), and say "I'd like to give you something!" and give it to them. Sometimes, I have to show them the REST of the Bibles before they'll take it. Virtually the same thing happens every time: I get a big grin, a "Thank you!", and if they're waiting at the bus stop, they start reading it then and there. I also put them out with a "Please take one" notice at work, and work has hundreds of people. Work has "eaten" over 100 Bibles to date.

As long as I've got a couple bucks in my pocket, I'll keep bringing them. I've been screamed at, reviled, thrown out of a grocery store, and shot in the leg with a BB gun (fortunately the velocity was pretty slow and it bounced off) as I carried a couple dozen Bibles to the bus stop.

My only regret in THAT case was not being able to give the thug a Bible, and tell him I'd be praying for him. Whenever I'm about to run out of Bibles, He always sends me more. The stories can be very interesting! The time I left the house with $40, and when I got to my destination I had $60. The time I found $60 lying in a parking lot, flat and face up, on my birthday. The check my Mom sent me that enabled the purchase of 20 Bibles and 50 New Testaments.

God wants me to do this, and I won't stop 'till I'm dead. I am called to evangelism by Christ Jesus, and I consider it an honor to serve.

No comments: