Sunday, February 15, 2009

I have a lot to be grateful for

Yesterday, I spent a lovely 19-hour stint in the County hospital. I had horrible gallbladder pain and some other symptoms that merited checking out.

I had to wait 8 hours, some little kid beat me up (laugh), I was queasy, I had to sit on the floor it got so crowded, I got stuck with a needle, etc. You'd think, a lot to complain about.

But I like to focus on the POSITIVE. So, here goes. All the good things I learned from yesterday:

  1. I did a great job of packing for my trip to the hospital. 3 paperbacks was actually a few short of what I needed, though. The knitting was good when I felt OK, until I got the IV started. Overall, I give myself a solid "A" on packing well.
  2. I was smart to bring my ID card and write out my medical history. I didn't feel so hot at times, and I get quiet when I'm hurting. Most people I meet seem to be a little hearing impaired so that's not good. Copying info off a card? No problem.
  3. I had a good friend who WOULD take me to the hospital. Some people don't.
  4. I got there before it was too busy.
  5. When the fretful toddler started hitting tender me during a tantrum, I moved to another seat rather than have a negative "interchange" with the mother.
  6. I inadvertendly stole an old man's wheelchair, trying to help another old man with a bad diabetic foot. But my heart was in the right place and only about 50 people watched me try to borrow it, get shouted at, and put it back. It's funny now. A nurse DID get the other guy his own chair.
  7. Not funny at all - I saw 2 guys with diabetic foot problems. Thank you JESUS I am not diabetic.
  8. Everyone at this hospital was awesome about the bipolar, once a few questions were asked (I was not suicidal or delusional). Those questions were only asked once.
  9. They were happy to comply with my request for no narcotics.
  10. The vending machine did not rip me off!
  11. Awesome nurses!
  12. Very kind doctor, who explained things.
  13. Nice "roomies" in the 5-room area where I "hung" for 11 hours. Everyone was quiet and polite. I got a few "chatty" ladies next to me who enjoyed the photo book I brought.
  14. Very compotent and throrough care. I've never gotten better, and I am completely honest about that.
  15. I am actually excited about applying for a "Gold Card" if it means all the facilities are like that, even if they aren't I'd want to go back if I were injured or ill.
  16. According to my test results, NO GALLSTONES! I have passed them all.
  17. My gallbladder ought to be fine if I give it a little break. I intend to eat lower-fat for a bit, still very low carb, to give it some rest.
  18. I didn't gain any weight - even with eating low-fat chips out of the vending machine and such.
  19. I slept GREAT when I got home, and I got a good nap in the ER (about an hour).
  20. I brought my TUNES and had a great time listening to my favorites.
  21. My gallbladder doesn't hurt when I eat the delicious smoked turkey meat I have in the fridge, so they're right about the "colic".
  22. I shared my books after reading them.
  23. I shared my sugar-free breath mints.
  24. I said please and thank you.
  25. Although originally disappointed with my diagnosis, I was NOT bitter or sarcastic.
  26. They didn't mind repeating things to me.
  27. I got a cab ride quickly, with a very nice and professional cab driver. LBJ hospital is not in a good area and we called for a cab around 5 AM.
  28. I got to come home to my husband and sleep in MY bed with MY cats.
  29. I could sleep in, everyone was quiet.
  30. I woke up fresh after 5 hour's sleep.
  31. I still get to the garden center, tomorrow (that was the original plan for Saturday).
  32. Ron was awesome. Calling him periodically as he stayed at home worked well. He took care of himself just fine.
  33. It's a sunny day and I'm not hurting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you are feeling much better now! looking forward to seeing your garden grow as I am an avid gardener myself! just a huge load of organic 4 way delivered and can not wait to dig in

take care Heather you are such an inspiration to all

OOOXXX

Heather Knits said...

Thank you sweetie! You're a doll!

All better now, I'm not going to be eating my whipped cream thing anytime soon but no pain!

(((hugs)))