Sunday, June 29, 2008

Stupid can grow legs and walk.

I have a saying when I hear of an act so stupid, so pointless, it defies logic. "It just goes to show that stupid can grow legs and walk." Amazingly, it can, and then it went and got a job at the Post Office Processing Center.

A couple times a week, Ron and I (I, actually) look at all the sell-by codes on the milk in the vending machines. The milk codes face the purchaser so they can ensure they're getting soemthing wholesome. Milk that is going "out" that day (or, oops, already gone out) is pulled out and put into a milk crate. I place the crate by the sink and take care of other tasks. When I'm down to the low-priority portion of the program, I pour the expired milk down the drain and throw away the empty cartons.

Today I was bringing my snack wagon (a large cart loaded up with 1 each of every chip item we sell) around the corner and I caught a guy snatching milks out of the carton and chugging them.

"Hey, what are you doing?"
"Drinking the milk. It's free."
"No it isn't! That's EXPIRED milk."
Interrupting - "Yeah, it's sour, what are you upset about?"
"Because you're stealing!"
"No I'm not, it's free."
"No it isn't."
"Someone told me the milk was free."
"Was it me?"
"No."
"Was it Ron?"
"No."
"Then why did you take our milk?"
"Look, I don't see why you're getting upset. You're just going to throw it out anyway."
"Yes, we're throwing it out because the milk is bad and we don't want people getting sick."
He mentions that it tasted sour. I told him, yes, because it is full of bacteria because in addition to being out of code, it's been sitting out at room temperature for an hour. He claims to be a good Christian so I congratulated him on breaking a commandment (stealing).
I then finished with, "If you get sick, don't blame us, and never touch our merchandise again without paying for it."

Our coffee machine has a waste bucket where people can pour off the overflow of the coffee. It smells rancid and has wierd things floating in it. Next time I see him, I told Ron, I am dying to offer him "free coffee" from our aptly-named "Yuck Bucket".

Drinking trash milk. Way to go. It just shows that stupid can grow legs and walk. I told Ron I hope both the guys (there was another one) get miserably ill on their days off.

No comments: