Thursday, August 20, 2015

Watching Ron Drink

Today was pretty mixed.  I slept in, it rained... heavily.  We had some minor flooding. 

I did my God Time and decided I didn't want to sit around the house, watching Ron drink.  Last week was just horrific

The bus system is free this week, as they've made huge changes.  My local bus now goes from the mall (several miles past the former end of the line), to downtown, past all my Bible Handout locations. 

It also connects to:
Airport bus/downtown
Work bus/NE Houston (might be good for a Handout at some point)
Airline bus/medical center
1960 bus (1960 is a huge shopping area, you can find everything from acupuncture to Half Price Books). 

However, how does it connect?  I need to know.  If I am in crisis, Ron's kept me up all night, and I'm going to work, I need to know where to wait on my bus! 

The rain came down. 

The last time I wore sneakers on a day like today, I ended up with moldy shoes.  I took out the insoles and lifted up the tongues, but I couldn't get them dry.  They had a nasty, moldy, stench.  I only wore them on rainy days, which really made them awful.  I finally threw them away, saying "I'm not that poor". 

Now, if I had a regular day out with Ron, not on the bus, not a lot of walking, I'd wear my plastic sandals or flip-flops.  Plastic sandals cut into my feet, after I've walked about a half mile, though.  I have a slightly odd gait, knock-kneed, which may factor. 

In order of price, I have: some dressy sandals I wore to a wedding, work boots, slip on steel toed loafers, cheap sneakers I use for Bible Handouts and dry days on the bus, flip flops, and the plastic sandals.  I have just shared my entire shoe wardrobe.  

What to wear?  I didn't want to ruin the sneakers, the "obvious" choice.  I opted for the plastic sandals, with a pair of socks. 

I probably violated a million fashion rules (they were fake crocs), but it worked on Sunday, so I tried it today.  It worked.  The socks got wet, but they didn't chafe.  I had other issues, though. 

I got my purple umbrella and headed out the door.  I was glad I didn't have my stun gun, as I could only imagine what'd happen if it shorted out. 

I felt very odd leaving without my bus pass, but free rides this week. 

I headed out, admiring all the wild purslane along the way.  It's an edible weed.  I had planned to nibble some in my driveway but the yard man got to it first.  I considered having a nibble en route, but abstained. 

I got to the stop and waited about 10 minutes.  The driver came, I boarded.  She asked me how long I'd waited.  I rode all the way to the end of the line, the transit center. 

I had envisioned bus stops on both sides of the street.  Nope, just one side.  The "end of the line layover stop" for my route was right next to the work route departure location.  What about going to 1960, and how the hell do I get home now? 

I figured it all out, took about 5 minutes, the rain gushing away.  I went over to McDonald's.  I was already depressed, having to work in the rain didn't help, and I didn't want to just come home after that.  Besides, I needed to see if they had my bus stop on the west bound side of the connecting street.   I also considered possible attendance at the flea market, which turned out to be closed. 

I went over to McDonald's.  I called Ron, who seemed much brighter, more alert, and sober.  "I always worry about you, when you go out" he told me.  "I don't want something to happen to you." 

Ron told me he wanted a burger.  I bought it, a drink (the brix was terrible), and some chicken nuggets.  I took my pills because that's what I do. 

I left. 

The ground was very slippery, and I lost my footing, twice, while walking over painted lines in the parking lot.  Thank God I did not break my neck/arm/back. 

I did pull a muscle, which ached for a while. 

I went to the westbound area of the street.  Sure enough, my bus stop.  Not so good, it went downtown. 

I was 90% back to the transit center when I realized I wanted the downtown bus!  I felt so stupid! 

I also realized the Greens road sidewalk is pretty un-navigable in the rain; worth noting.  The transit center area was well-kept, except for some low-hanging branches. 

I got back to the bus stop and waited about 20 minutes.  I must have just missed it. 

An old white guy with BO; thick, yellow fingernails; and dirty hair kept bugging me until I called my aunt.  He was a very lonely man. 

That's why a lot of women hate to ride the bus.  It came, I boarded, still feeling like a sneak because I didn't pay.  By the time I get used to this, I'll have to pay, again. 

I talked to my aunt.  Like I said, she's the one, supportive, person in my phone book. 

We got home pretty fast.  The rain kept pretty much everyone, home. 

I got off the bus, deciding to eat the first purslane I saw.  And my neighbor pulled up. 

At first, when I saw the SUV pulling over, I thought "Get away from me, you freak!" but then I saw it was her.  She gave me a ride once, years ago, when we both happened to be leaving at the same time. 

She is very sweet.  She was absolutely horrified I have to walk to and from the bus stop, six blocks, every time.  I told her it was good exercise, I can only have one person in a wheelchair at my house.  There's a language barrier but she laughed. 

She was embarrassed the vehicle was cluttered.  I didn't care.  I was dry.  I rode in a car once, with roaches all over the floorboard.  It takes a lot to upset me. 

I am also certain her home is far better kept than mine.  

I got out, feeling (still) very odd with paranoid oddities running around in my head.  Poor woman, if she had any idea she never would have let me sit right next to her baby. 

I basically told myself: so they have loud parties on occasion, time to suck it up!  I'm not going to work myself into agitation over the next one (by my estimation, at least 5 weeks). 

So, no purslane today.  I tried. 

I came in, gave Ron his burger (he liked it) and took a nap.

I woke up.  He's feeling chatty so he called everyone he could think of.  Most are "busy".  He did talk to at least one person, though, which made him happy.

Happily, the rain has stopped.  I hope it stays dry until we get home tomorrow.  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry you did not get your purslane, but you got out and had a day to yourself how wonderful. It does not matter how close a couple are you need a "day off" once in a while that is for sure. I make it a point monthly to lunch with someone else besides my husband.