Monday, August 24, 2015

Code 2

"This is going to be really funny" I moaned "When I put this on my blog." 

I woke up with a migraine.  Vicious, excruciating, bitch of a migraine.  At that point, I could take my generic headache pills, so I did, noting the time.  I washed them down with a very cold diet soda. 

I figured God would understand if I waited on my God Time.  Still haven't got there yet. 

I did take a shower, hoping the heat would help.  It didn't, much. 

We went to work.  The migraine progressed.  I almost fell on the floor in agony when Ron asked me to bring him a case of soda.  I "made" him get his own drinks after that.  I verbally directed him. 

I was unhappy to see a request for "The hot, fresh, cafeteria food we were promised".  You have microwaves.  You have 10 restaurants within a mile of the plant.  No one ever promised a deli.  The former plant manager (for a reason), said "I will try to see about getting some hot food in here".  That is very different from promising, but people hear what they want to hear.  It's just upsetting. 

The damned deli put Ron in a wheelchair.  That's not enough?  When we mention hot food sales are not profitable, people get very nasty and basically say they don't care if we lose everything, they want a hot dog. 

The complaint was written on a rainy night - and that's the other thing.  People only used the deli during inclement weather.  Most people didn't even know we had closed the deli until a month later, when a heavy rain front came through and they went running off to the cafeteria for dinner.  It is impossible to keep perishable foods, and trained workers, in stasis, waiting for that bad weather or call to overtime, and then suddenly flip them on to provide instant service.

It's like the guy who yelled at me, one day, because we were "out of milk".  I told him we hadn't sold it in two years. 

"That's not true" he said "I just saw it a week ago."  I assured him we had cancelled our contract with the milk company over two years ago.  "Has it been that long?"  He murmured "Really?"

At the end of the day, you have to remember 98% of my customers are bringing their own lunch.  I barely sell 45 sandwiches a week.  

Let's take one last look at the "hot and fresh".  If we did it, and we won't, we would be putting a precooked meat patty in the microwave and microwaving it.  How is that hot or fresh? 

We had one guy from downtown, who kept bugging us endlessly, for an ice cream vending machine.  We got rid of those 13 years ago because they were unprofitable, and ripped people off.  I made more in one day on a snack, soda, or food machine - a single machine, than we made on both ice cream machines, in a month.  Why would we waste an outlet?  We only have room for 9 machines, they all need to be producers.  Anyway, one day he caught up to me and I explained, he finally left it alone.

I took another dose of pain relievers 4 hours after the first.  

Anyway, upsetting.  The devil knows how to poke me; this is one way.  I really need to get some personal reassurance from our guy in Austin that they are not going to force us into reopening the deli. 

When we left, all the machines looked good.  I was happy with that. 

Our driver came early.  We had a younger woman in an electric wheelchair, wearing a short skirt, exposing flabby thighs.  Really, gals, it's not a good look.  I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have a man looking at my face, than my crotch.  Unfortunately I was positioned for the optimal view. 

Sometimes I wonder what Ron would say, if he could see.  I think he would have said something she would have taken as "offensive", and caused a scene.  Not that he would be a pig, but he would say "Why are you showing your crotch?  Don't you have any pride?  Is that all you are, a crotch?"  Ensue mayhem. 

She was all dressed up - going to Walmart.  The special Walmart, because that was the only one good enough for her.  Well. 

We had another pickup, first.  Unfortunately for me, she was an older lady, and drenched in "Pleasures" cologne - which is supposedly "Flowers covered in rain".  I kept gagging on it, the perfume and the migraine clashing in a horrible symphony, within my head.

We dropped off "Mostly naked" (I forgot to mention the low cut blouse) at Walmart, and then a long journey to drop the senior at her dentist.  Finally, done.  The second she got off I started opening windows.

The driver, and trainee, asked me why.  I told them to shut the door.  [I didn't want the old lady to overhear.]  They didn't, and left the door open, with the perfume wafting back into the van as the old lady hobbled down the sidewalk. 

I would so, rather smell BO, than heavy perfume. 

They finally shut the door.  They didn't understand me at first, when I said I had a terrible migraine and was about to vomit.  I had to say "I'm about to have a Code 2 all over the floor of this van". 

Code 2 is "Client got sick"

The driver said "What?"

"I'm about to puke!"

"Oh, you want some BBQ!   Where is it?  I love me some good ribs...."

"No!" I pleaded loudly "I am about to vomit!  Please shut up about food!"   They gaped at me. 

"Can we go home now before I lose it?"  Oh!  They finally started up the van and drove.  This is when I told Ron, it would be pretty funny one day. 

"I don't want no Code 2 on MY van!" 

We got home.  I didn't vomit (then), and went to bed. 

I got up.  I tried to take an alka-seltzer.  I did vomit. 

In fact, I called the boys (cats).  The last time I got sick they found it an enthralling experience. 

I grabbed my bucket and sat on the edge of the bed, panting, saliva filling my mouth, the boys at my side.  They watched eagerly as I gasped, heaved, and finally produced a quart or so of yellow-green bile.  They weren't interested in investigating, but I believe looked at me with great sympathy.  I petted them and told them they were good boys. 

I cleaned out the bucket and washed it.  I have a specially designated bucket. 

I waited about an hour and tried some ice water, which worked OK. 

For obvious reasons, Ron gave me tomorrow off.  Besides, the machines should be fine tomorrow. 

God knows I filled them. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can not even imagine how you manage a migraine with excedrin and in those vans. Heather you are a warrior