Saturday, August 29, 2015

Butt Soda Explosion

Youtube, apparently hates my video camera, the microphone, or both.  Hecho en Chine. 

I did not sleep well last night, I barely had the energy for a shower this morning.  I staggered off to the store, Ron and the rolling ice chest in tow. 

The "shop" was pretty unexceptional.  They were out of Sprite, again.   When I was a kid, I used to love Sprite.  Sorry,  customers, I tried. 

My cashier took her sweet time ringing me up, but she was accurate and didn't abuse the merchandise.  A gay cart attendant helped me load the truck. 

I don't care who he sleeps with, he did a good job.  I later dealt with a gay customer.  It was just my day for the gay, black, man.  They walked away happy, so I guess I did a good job. 

We got to work.  Ron was whining about being thirsty.  I finally told him "Look, I'm the one unloading this truck, and you want a cold soda?"  He said he wanted it anyway.  He told me later he had eaten some very salty chicken last night (something from the Walmart deli). 

I tie the two handcarts together, like a train.  Then I strap the folding handcart across the top of both, with tie-downs, making a large and unwieldy beast. 

I couldn't hold a soda, and it would have fallen off the cart, so I stuck one in each of my back pockets, mine (Diet Dr) and his (Gingerale).  As I came out the door, the cart got stuck, and I yanked it.  The cart slammed into my butt, and my can exploded all over my butt. 

Happily, it was sugarfree, and it was so hot the fabric dried pretty quick. 

I gave Ron his soda, telling him "This is the last time".  He pouted a bit but enjoyed drinking it down. 

I unloaded the truck, with his help.  He gets into the truck bed and pushes the lighter stuff to me.

I loaded all 3 carts, got them in the building, and got Ron into the building too.  Our driver left.

It was interesting.  He was mentioning having some leg pain, recently.  He is diabetic.  Today he mentioned having orange juice for breakfast.

I want to tell him to get a nerve conduction test for neuropathy, but is it my business?  He's the kind of guy who just takes whatever doc gives him, up to 10 prescriptions already.  The popular medication used for neuropathy might render him an unsafe driver.

I need to think about that for a few days, and talk to Ron.

I had mentioned, in front of the driver, how Ron hadn't complained yesterday, and how I'd mentioned I "wanted to keep him" in my blog.  Ron looked very taken aback.

Funny, the comments that end up impactful.

We got to work.  It was pretty uneventful.  They REALLY like what I'm doing in the snack department.  I made a lot of change.

One guy came up to me, sputtering with rage.  I took one look at him and directed him to Ron (Ron wants me to do this).  I saw him gesturing and exclaiming loudly.

Last week, we had asked him if he might be interested in driving for us.
On Saturday.
We would call first.
As-needed, not right now.

He misunderstood and apparently went to 2 different Sam's clubs, before they even opened, looking for us - on a Sunday.  That was awkward.  We never told him to do that. 

"I think" I told Ron after he left "You should proceed as though he has an audio processing issue."  Ron agreed.

One woman was off in a corner, pointing at me and yelling "Toxic".  I just ignored her.

She came over and picked up my box of donuts.  They come 12 packs to a case.  She was looking all over the box, and caressing it with her hands.

Her body language clearly said "I want to eat every last donut".   She, however, was raving about "toxic food".

I looked at her and smiled brightly "I sell two cases a week." 

What???

"People love them.  I'd have hell to pay if I didn't stock them."

You need to...

"Whenever we put out 'healthy food' it just rots in the machine.  These will be gone in 2 days.  People here are grown and can make their own choices."  She sputtered a little, but the box down, and left.

I made sure to present bright an cheerful, as she was likely looking for a confrontation with the evil vendor.  I like to defy expectation.  I couldn't have been nicer.

Well, I could have been if I'd given her a donut.  But I don't give away the store. 

I helped Ron, got all the "leftovers" put up, and helped Ron pull change.  I put all the carts away and we left. 

We had to wait about 20 minutes, but other than that it was good.  I was so tired I almost fell asleep on the way home.  When we did get home, I crawled into bed for a short nap. 

God only knows what the rest of the day, will hold. 




No comments: