Saturday, December 6, 2014

Yet another truck day

We had an early wakeup.

Now, I want to be completely clear.  I like working Saturdays.  The customers LOVE it when we work Saturdays.

I would much rather have a weekday off, anyway.  If I want to shop or go out to eat, a weekday is far quieter.

So, we went to the warehouse.

I bought primarily soda for Ron, with some pastry and snack items.  I am clever enough to remember the Postal Workers like a lot of sweets - candy and pastry.  So I got LOTS.

My "boyfriend" (cart attendant) met me at the door and we loaded the truck.  We went to work, I got the carts, and unloaded it.

I don't know if I mentioned the walker.  Ron got one.  He likes using it in the house.

He took it to work today.  I didn't think it was a good idea, but he didn't ask.  If he had I'd have said take the wheelchair.

I was right.  Ron was completely overwhelmed and required a lot more help.  I did my best to be caring and professional.

It's so easy to be a bitch.  But is that going to please God?  No.

Ron and I agreed, the walker is good for light duty things like "let's get a hamburger".  And "Going to church".  It's awful for work.

I wouldn't necessarily think he would need an assortment of mobility devices, but there you have it.  I'm sure an occupational therapist would have a lot of fun with him.

This is going to sound completely hopeless, but I'm incredibly proud to be a USPS vendor.  I'm on the team.

When Ron was hurt, our Postal family stepped up in amazing ways.  They accept us and embrace us.

For someone who grew up, for all intents unwanted, neglected, ignored, abused, rejected - it was tremendous for me to be welcomed like that, with open arms.

"You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps" - they embrace different personality types and I really do fit right in.

We appreciate each other.

I love this commercial.  Just add a tagline of me unloading a truckload of merchandise and stocking it.  The weary postal clerk/mailhandler comes in on break and buys a candy bar and soda from our vending machines, then goes back to work processing all the mail so you can get your present.  :D



It really is our season - as the vendor.  I will always do whatever it takes to make them happy and make sure they have what they need.

So, I worked my butt off today.  Literally.  My butt hurts.

But, I did it all.  Snacks, food, coffee, soda.  It looks great.

I did think it was pretty funny: I was admiring the fully stocked food machine.  "That's a good looking food machine" I said.  And a Postal Worker came along and bought 2 burritos.

They keep me on my toes.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's absolutely true that a walker with a fold-down seat cannot substitute for a wheelchair (although you will often see people using them as such because they're so affordable - which doesn't mean that they're safe). But walkers of various kinds would be very helpful to Ron when at home. Seeing an OT, if possible, would be an excellent idea.

Heather Knits said...

Unfortunately he sees it all as "worthless and unable to fix me". He doesn't accept it might help him live a better "quality" of life. I do what I can - our new toilet is higher than the old one - he loves that. I moved a cheap old microwave onto the counter (we have a built in) so he can heat up his own food (standing causes sciatic pain). He does a lot in the wheelchair, too.