Sunday, November 9, 2014

Put Your love in my heart

Bad Omen: #6 rolling a huge speaker up his driveway.  I knew we were in trouble even before his friends started showing up. Apparently, yet ANOTHER birthday party (3 in the last month alone).  Ron is napping.  I wish I could, but since I know what's coming (very loud music, shouting, etc.) I doubt I'd sleep. 

Sad fact: #10 had a party last night.  I happened to notice the cars.  I saw people entering the house... and it was nice and quiet all night.  #6 has good examples. 

I am, of course, assuming they will act ignorant, turn up the speaker (the thing is huge, no wonder the music's so loud - it would be great for them if they lived on a couple acres, rather than a tenth of one), and disrupt our lives.  I would LOVE to be wrong!  Love it! 

It would really make my whole day.  However, worst case (and I really am wrapping this up), they have work and school tomorrow.  He leaves for work about an hour before the kids leave for school.  They will need to get to bed at a somewhat reasonable hour.  Even if they don't he usually leaves very early for work. 

Now, my hours, I need to be in bed at 7-8 most nights.  Not happening tonight, most likely. 

My day was already rather challenging.  Our ride to church was an hour late.  I could have slept that extra hour because it was quiet.  I got out of a nice warm nest of blankets to take a shower, shave my legs (it just seemed wrong to go to church with hairy legs, even though I wore long jeans), and of course wash my hair. 

I was talking with a black driver about black hair vs. white.  I mentioned how "our" hair gets so greasy, and has to be washed every day.  At least mine does.  She found that startling, and said she washed her hair far less. 

Anyway, I did all that, most of my God Time (because I assumed our ride was imminent), and waited.  And waited.  Our ride was an hour late. 

We got to church after the singing, during the greeting, right before the sermon.  At least we got that.  It wasn't the driver's fault; Ron's just having a lot of trouble getting a trip he likes. 

If he schedules it to arrive "on time" for the service, it arrives us an hour early.  He doesn't want to sit around "and visit" for an hour.  I would love that, but beggars can't be choosy.  The driver was very nice and we had a great time chatting with her. 

We did get to hear the sermon. 

We departed church to find our next ride waiting.  I did manage to tell one of the elders about the New Testament sale and he was pretty interested to hear it.  I shoved a catalog at him and boarded the vehicle. 

We got on at 10:30.  We drove to South Houston, a megachurch with a good dozen buildings on a 30 acre campus.  The driver kept going from one building to the next, trying to find the client.  She got on about 11:15.  We then got over to 610 and headed north on 45. 

The driver stopped around Little York (not the best area) and asked the client "Where's the restaurant?"  The client was very confused.  She was going to a high end seafood restaurant (I hate wasting money like that).  They wouldn't put it in that neighborhood. 

She called someone and found out it was at the far south end of Harris county.  She had gotten the address wrong. 

The lady assumed the driver would, of course, immediately proceed to the location.  It's an hour just to get there, no to mention the return trip.  Paratransit can only ride a client for 2 hours maximum. 

We had already, at that point and time, been riding for well over an hour and a half.  I told the driver "I'm already carsick.  If you ride me over there and back I will get sick, and we will miss our next ride." 

Lord, I begged, put Your love in my heart, because I'm about to blow my top.  

He "got permission" from the other lady to take us home (we were 10 minutes away by then), and cleared it with dispatch.  The lady asked me "My restaurant is right down the road, right?"  I lied and told her yes.  I did not tell her she would have to ride for an additional hour because *she got a bad address*! 

It does bother me when someone's incompetence makes me carsick, and wastes an hour of my life.  It's a 30 minute ride from the church to our house.  

Why didn't her lunch date pick her up at church?  The church was pretty close to the restaurant, for Houston.  I was pretty upset. 

I was also RATHER IRKED to find #2's guest had parked in front of our house, requiring the driver to park in the street and let Ron down in the street, in his wheelchair.

Ron said he was "sick of my negativity" and went in the other room.  I had a few bitter thoughts about his constant complaining about God's timeline, etc.  I asked God, again for help.  I don't want to be that bitter and hateful person. 

I figured I would have no better time in my life to finish my God Time.  I got out my prayer notebook and worked on all the topics.  I had gotten to Ron's page (I have a page for various people, and people groups), when Ron told me our ride was a couple minutes away. 

I got up and went to the front room, to find the driver parked in front of #2's house, idling, as the guest left.  Good.  At least we got that fixed.  

I believe people assume that we don't need our parking/driveway because we don't have a car.  We don't have a car, but we require parking.  More than you might expect. 

We had a great ride to Walmart, with a very nice driver.  I liked him a lot.  

I hate negative people, while I feel I have to share things that are affecting me I don't want to live in them, either.  

The parking lot was packed, I expected a pretty hellish visit, but like I told Ron "They're all spread out".  It was actually a lot BETTER than a typical weekday afternoon.  

[shrug]  Was there a game today?  

I had a couple of objectives:  1.  Work supplies. Ron needed soda, and I needed Cup-a-noodles.  I get varieties not found at the warehouse stores, and the customers appreciate it.  However it results in a pretty big cup a noodle turnover.  I handled that.  

I spotted some canned Yoo-hoo.  I bought it.  I figure we can put it in the cold food vending machine, I have the perfect row for it.  It's pretty nonperishable, a food-ish item, and "healthy" - it "contains vitamins and minerals", and, according to the can, 2 grams of protein.  

I figured, it can't hurt, and since it was stocked with the Dr Pepper items we can get it from our sales rep.  [sigh]  I try to keep things fresh and interesting, while maintaining the old favorites.  

Work accomplished, I moved on.  I bought some canisters for my "flours".  I live in Texas.  I don't think I need to say anything else on the subject.  I cannot have a paper bag on the shelf. 

I wanted a pair of jeggings.  I know you're probably rolling your eyes.  They had a lot in 4x, but none in my size.  I turned my attention to the regular jeans.  

For years, I've just had one pair of jeans at a time.  I have onsite laundry facilities, it works for me.  I wear them a few days, wash, continue.  

But it won't hurt me to have 2 pair.  It doesn't mean I'm back to the old manic days of buying 8 pairs of jeans in a size I don't even wear.  2 pair, that fit - OK.  

I like black jeans, so I looked for them.  I found some in the Just My Size brand.  They work well for me, so I just threw them in the cart, while it was reasonable chaos at Walmart I didn't want to brave the dressing room.  

[When I got home, they fit fine, and I plan to wear them tomorrow.]

In Ron's worst nightmare, he's at one end of the store, I'm at the other, and he needs to use the bathroom.  Will Heather make it back in time?  

So, I always leave him near the bathroom.  He can just roll in if needed.  He told me he heard an endless parade of children shouting their need to pee, Mommy PLEASE!  

"It's an endless river!" I retorted.  He snickered.  

I found some very cute fleece buttondown shirts.  Like a flannel, but the warm poly fleece.  One of my favorite jackets was a navy fleece.  Sadly, it doesn't fit anymore, but I wore it daily that winter.  

I doubted they had them in my size (22W), but I looked anyway.  I tried on a 20 and it fit with plenty of room to spare.  I plan to wear it over a t-shirt, unbuttoned, so it'll be really warm and cute.  

Since I mainly wear black anything would work.  Some things, like the lavender/mauve print, were clearly not happening.  I saw a really cute turquoise plaid.  

"It's really cute" I thought "But I'll get sick of it.  I won't wear this when I'm depressed.  I'll only wear it when I'm manic and that's not very often."  

Since I loved that navy one so much, years ago, I got one in navy.  That's it for clothing.  

I got Ron and I some chips, drinks (they had the sparkling watermelon, and Ron loves the fruit punch too), and a few cooking things (a little can of hot peppers to make some jalapeno cheese bread).  Ron wanted a jar of peanut butter.  I told him I'd get him a small.  He said he wanted a family size.  

Since he is a messy eater, I told him TMI ALERT I would only buy it if he took his clothes off when eating it, so I wouldn't end up with extra laundry.  "I don't think I can get peanut butter out of your clothes."  He agreed.  

I also got another oven mitt.  I hate burning myself.  

That's a thought - how depressed must one be, to burn him/herself?  That would be a terrible place.  I'll be praying for them. 

It reminds me of the time I spent in the mental hospital.  I was the only non smoker.  People with mental illness are very drawn to smoking, as it works on neurotransmitters in the brain.  

I have a story about that.  My mother was allowed visitation, but never really took up the offer.  However, for a few months in 1985 she actually saw me every Saturday.  One day, chain smoking, she watched me watching her.  

"Heather" she mumbled around her cigarette, "Make me a promise, honey."  I agreed.  

"Don't ever smoke.  Look at me, I'm a slave to these things.  I hate them but I can't stop.  I don't want you to end up here.  Make me a promise, promise me you will NEVER smoke!"  I nodded.  

When I got home I told my Dad and adoptive Mom that "Mommy" had made me promise I would never smoke.  They were happy to hear it.  

Anyway, I looked around and found a "nice" cashier.  I had 2 transactions (one for work), and she was really pleasant about the whole process.  Another nice person in my day.  

Even better, I put an extra $10 in my bank account because I overspent at the Bible store.  Sale Room 

I have to pay a bill and I needed to deposit at least a few dollars to cover the check.  

I rolled Ron out, hanging onto the cart, and we had the most wonderful driver already waiting for us.  Talk about perfect!  She was so nice, kept saying we were "too much!" in a laughing voice, we were her favorite customers, etc.  Wonderful lady and a gift from God.   I would have loved to ride around with her for hours. 

We loaded everything (a lot, with all the drinks for work, the cup a noodles, and the personal), and got Ron loaded.  He attempted to climb the stairs and did so.  It was a little wobbly, but he did it.  

I love that about Ron, he strives.  So many would have given up, after his injuries.  

He's even pretty appreciative these days.  

He did groan when he found out I spent my 'bonis" (inside joke) on Bibles, but I think he's glad I didn't "waste" it.  

We got home, unloaded, and the driver commented on the Yoo-hoos.  We let her try one over ice and she loved it.  Good.  She is exactly in our demographic.  

It was pretty late so I tried on my jeans, found out they fit perfectly, took off the tags, and threw them in the wash.  I have some of that "for dark clothing" detergent so I used that.  I also washed the new shirt.  I'll be drying them later.  

If I'd known we had an inbound party I would have taken a nap but they're still pretty quiet, and it is a schoolnight (I hope).  Maybe not a school night because of Veteran's Day.  I don't think they take Tuesday off, do they?  

It's been too long since I attended public school, and I'm sure all the rules have changed.  Anyway, as I am always reminded in these situations, I don't have control over my environment.  

I remind myself my mortgage is about $760 a month, everything included.  We do pay our insurance (both flood and standard), mortgage, and taxes separately, but when I add it up that's what I get.  Now, we have a 3 bedroom home on a 6 thousand (nearly 7) square foot lot.  One car garage.  Let's look at my local real estate website under these criteria.  

The cheapest home is $1,150, rent.  It's 10 years older than mine.  And brick, which I don't like.  

I can tolerate a little bother!   

Oh, I don't know if I mentioned it, but the sheriff sent me an email stating all the things the racepark will do to make sure that horrid party weekend never happens again.  Good, delighted I voted for him, twice.  I will, again. 

So, clothes in the washer.  I'll throw them in the dryer shortly.  The kids are screeching (and it isn't even 7 so I can't complain) so bed is out.  I think I'll work on redoing the computer room.  Ron made a good point, I should move the couch.  That will require some shifting but I think I can do it if Ron's asleep.  I'll need to move some things in the hall midway.  

Or I might make that jalapeno cheese bread.  Ron would be delighted if I used the oven, and it should be easy to make.  

If I get really industrious I might make the bread and then rearrange the computer room.  I know this, I am really sick of breaking my toe on that couch! 

No comments: