Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Code Pissed

"You can't leave him there." the greeter told me "People can see him there.  It looks bad [having someone with a disability sitting in public].  You need to put him in the corner, or it will upset the business customers." 

Oh, it will?  

Business customers?  What the heck are we?  

I was not happy.  I can, and do, endure all sorts of personal attacks on a daily basis.  However, with my life, I'm used to it and I generally laugh it off.  However, attack my husband and you will meet a whole different Heather. 

First, I went over to a group of cashiers and associates, gossiping.  I told them the greeter had just told me I had to hide my husband in a corner because he "looked bad" sitting in his wheelchair.  I also told them she told me the sight of my husband would "Upset the business customers". 

"What year are we living in?" I vented in exasperation "Do we hide all the cripples in the closet or what?  I am pissed!  Do you know how much money we spend here every month and she tells me the sight of a disabled man is OFFENSIVE?" 

I had made sure Ron was well out of the way of traffic.  He was visible as people entered the door but so what?  It's 30 degrees!  This same woman, the one who told me to hide him, had also yelled at me over "leaving him out in the heat!  It's too hot!", all summer long. 

So what is it?  Either he's out, or in, and if he's in I'm not sticking him in a corner.  She wanted to put me in the exit aisle, which wouldn't have been safe anyway.  I'm sorry the sight of a blind man in a wheelchair is so offensive.  It's a lot worse to live it! 

When I left Ron, storming off in a rage, I told him not to let anyone move him.  The manger went over to check it out, and later agreed my positioning was fine, he was out of traffic. 

Meanwhile, the associates (one in a wheelchair) gaped at me in shock.  "She said what?"  

I repeated it.  "Someone" I said ominously, "needs to teach her some manners!"

I went off to get my crackers and trail mix.  I was out and we only needed about $40 of merchandise.  In the meantime, the associates notified the manager she had a Code Pissed.  The manager talked to the associate, looked at Ron, well out of the way and minding his own business, heard how much we spend monthly from a cart attendant. 

I, in the meantime, decided to file a formal complaint, and formally requested a manager.  I was nice about it, but it was clear I was very upset.  I explained the whole thing to her, she was horrified.  "I'm sure she didn't mean it that way". 

Go talk to her, I said.  The manager did and by the time I left, the greeter was gone.  I guess she did mean it that way. 

"She needs to be taught people with disabilities have value."  I mentioned the employee in a wheelchair "How do you think he feels about this?  She needs, at the very least, some sensitivity training.  I could file a formal ADA complaint.  Do you know how bad this makes you look?  I'm not going to do that, but I don't ever want this to happen again."  She agreed it would not. 

She also had me fill out an incident report, which I did.  She was very nice about it, very apologetic.  I wasn't seeking anything but she gave me a gift card. 

The employees were very supportive, especially the guy in a wheelchair. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Imagine what a small heart that woman must have.

Good Luck,
Sophie