Wednesday, October 8, 2014

This old thing

Every month, Ron and I have to file a monthly report. 

"How much money did I make?" being one question. 

So, it's really vital we do this, or we will lose the business.  Ron likes to wait until the last minute, being a last minute kind of guy. 

One of the latino drivers even started calling Ron "Lento" meaning slow, in Spanish.  He generally comes out at the last possible minute and we've had many arguments about the "right" time to go out and wait on paratransit.  I believe we should go 15 minutes ahead of time, when the driver may arrive.  Ron says we shouldn't go out until the pickup time, 5 minutes before they "have" to leave. 

Ron wanted to file the report tomorrow.  I said no, let's do it tonight. 

Guess what? 

When my friend Eric gave me his old computer, he installed the best and brightest programs, including the newest version of Internet Explorer.  The State database program DOES NOT like the latest version of Internet Exporer. 

Stuck with an upcoming deadline I pulled out the old hand me down laptop.  My brother in law designed it to be "easy" for the user - lots of automatic updates the second they come up, "supposed" to run in the background but basically rendering the computer completely useless while it hijacks the system and forces reboots. 

Then, my antivirus program about had a nervous breakdown because it hadn't updated in a few weeks. 

Let's not forget the "helpful" automatic update reminders (even when the update says "Hell no I'm not running on that system!" - crashes, it still nags me to install the new update).  I was so frustrated I almost threw the computer out the window.  I had to weed my way through:
Avast downloading updates
Windows downloading updates - 24% complete
Update your Java!   That's the one that said hell no and crashed. 
Update Adobe reader!  Why do I need that? 
Hey!  You have a security problem!  Yeah!  Maybe a system overloaded in updates! 

You get that idea.  Add that to a sluggish hard drive that isn't even showing the letters I type, as I type - there's a significan't lag.  It reminds me of typing class. 

Agggh.  So I finally and very tediously input all the numbers and got the cursed thing filed. 

Ugh.  So glad I kept "this old thing". 

No comments: