Sunday, October 12, 2014

The special

Last night, I stood in front of my house, as the pizza man explained.  He didn't know what had gone wrong or why I hadn't gotten my pizza (after waiting an hour for said pizza).  He didn't know why Ron had his pizza and I had nothing.  However, he promised, he'd go back to the shop and make this right. 

I had a couple of choices.  I did, bitterly, think, this was what I got for cheating on my standard pizza company.  The "special" the other guys advertised had just looked so tasty.  I don't know about you, but I get tired of the same old pizza. 

I could have yelled at the guy, or gotten an attitude.  I was tempted.  The receipt he held clearly showed my pizza.  How could he mess that up?  Doesn't anyone look in the box?  I could have, but why? 

Besides, it is always a terrible idea to yell at food service people when you haven't gotten your food.  You might end up with the special.  

I did that once, during a brief stint as a waitress.  I am a really awful waitress.  Anyway, a guy came in and started yelling at me even before I brought his glass of water.  I brought him the bread basket and he shoved it away, shouting he wanted only biscuits.

I was having a very bad, backslidden, period of my life.  When I dropped a biscuit on the floor, in the kitchen, I picked it up and made it the crown jewel in my biscuit basket.  I even surrounded it in little cups of butter, to encourage consumption.  I watched with grim satisfaction as the guy picked up the biscuit, buttered it, and took a couple of bites. 

Have you ever seen the floor in a restaurant kitchen?  That wasn't nice. 

I also had another fact in play - I had already given my driver a sackful of done up candy and scripture booklets.  5 bags of candy with a booklet, each.

Was I going to make Jesus happy?  Or act like just another hypocrite - all shiny and happy until things didn't go my way?

I decided to make God happy.  I related - I'm in food service.  Things happen.  When you get it fixed, you know where I live, thank you.

He called, and told me they couldn't find my pizza.  They were making a new one.  He came back, and I greeted him as the conquering hero.

I have learned, it doesn't do any good to get an attitude with the delivery man.  It just gets you a reputation.

"Everyone loved the candy" he grinned, as I snatched the box from his hands.  "Thank you!"

Good.  I'm glad I didn't shame God.  I hope they'll be more receptive because I wasn't a bitch. 

The pizza was good.  Ron liked what I picked out for him, too.

I like pig - ham, bacon, salami, pepperoni, and diced tomatoes.  Ron likes chicken, onions, hot peppers, and bacon.  

So, yesterday, another day of depression.  I went to the warehouse, got some Mountain Dew and "worms" (sour gummy), etc.  We took paratransit to work (we had a very modest amount of inventory).  We stocked. 

We left and went home, I think I took a nap.  I woke up later and Ron was asleep.  I did my God Time and ordered the pizza.  I woke Ron up with a slice of pizza in his mouth.  He likes to wake up to a food treat. 

I normally never wake him up, but I will if we've ordered food. 

I finally got my food, ate, and watched a little TV before I went to bed.  We had to get up pretty early. 

Our church got evicted, they're building a hotel.  We are sharing a church with some Baptists.  I like Baptists.  I don't agree with their rapture views but I got saved at a Baptist summer camp.  The Baptists' printing company makes "my" evangelism Bibles.  Good guys. 

Our church started at 9:30.  We were done at 10:20.   Ron liked the shorter service.  We had the same driver coming and going.  She was really nice, a good driver, and very likable. 

Tomorrow is Dr Pepper day - a 2 AM wakeup.  I was a little annoyed to find my neighbor playing fairly loud music in his yard while doing yardwork and watching a couple of screaming toddlers. 

However, Ron made a point of opening a window and "calling the cat" (already on the couch).  The neighbor  turned it down after that  - realizing we were home. 

I even managed a nap for 3-some hours.  I'll try to go to bed an in an hour or so and get an additional 8. 

Since we had a pretty good rain, I think I might manage it. 

No comments: