Saturday, October 18, 2014

Powerless

I meant to talk about this a while ago, but forgot. 

I forget a lot, but people like having me around.  I'm pretty evil, unmedicated.

One thing I hate about vending machine troubles, work issues, noisy neighbors (including the crane and steel cutting companies) - powerlesness.

I like to believe I have power over my life.  I like to believe my life is going to go the way I'd like.

I don't like realizing the things I want, and take for granted, in my life, are completely subject to the whims of others.

Take work: my day starts by checking the machines.  Are they working? 

If they're not, can I fix it?

If I can't fix it, that's a $70 service call.  Not counting parts.  Our last service call was $100.

Here's another one that freaks me out: plumbing issues.  Years ago, I had a demon possessed cut off valve for my toilet.  I couldn't cut it off.  I was in tears, desperate and frantic.  It was the middle of the night.

That's the closest I've ever come to giving up on evangelism.  I really thought for a moment "I can't handle this.  I can't do it."  Of course I can't; but God gives me what I need.

In this case we had a friend who fixed the cut off valve.  I had the whole shower-wall falling into the bathtub and raining tiles like rain, issue.

That should have cost probably $10K-15.  Instead, God sent a wonderful, bored, man who was looking for a project.

I now have a 5 star shower enclosure.

Happily, Ron and I know a kindly electrician, and we installed a new electrical panel back in 2004.   If we need help, we have it.

I could get very tweaky about house foundation issues, but from what I can tell it looks OK.  The siding is fine for now.

Business is better - the worst seems to be behind us.  Our management, and even our vendors (Dr Pepper) seem to be showering us with wonderful new machines, or the option to get them.

I may have even fixed the rip-off feature on Snack #3, an ongoing issue.  We'll see.  God showed me.
That's one thing I work on - humility.  I find it easier to give God the credit for something He had the whole time, anyway.  :)

I am pretty powerless. Hell, I can't even drive.  I am dependent on a lot of people for a lot of things.

You can't imagine how awful it was, waiting on the cab to take a dying cat to be put down, and having to wait and watch him suffer.

I'm pretty powerless, but God is a lot bigger than my problems.  I need to stop freaking and fumbling around and just toss them over to Him.  

No comments: