Monday, September 22, 2014

What a 40th!

It's my birthday, and I have to laugh.

I didn't sleep well because I was working up a migraine.  After I woke up, I took some generic headache tablets, and my shower.  After the shower, I vomited.

A couple of facts:

When I vomit, I prefer a bucket.  Happily I was able to access my bucket in time.

I vomited up red fruit punch, which I had well before bed.  I don't think I'm going to touch that stuff for quite a while.

Enough about that.  I used my mouthwash, made sure I looked OK, and did half my God Time (the Bible Study, most of it).  We went to work.

Yes, with a migraine, on my birthday - but interestingly enough getting sick took nearly all the edge off the thing.  Ron said that was God's birthday gift to me.  I brought my fizzy headache medicine, and took that 4 hours after I took the headache pills.  That helped.

We'd worked Saturday, so we didn't have much on our plate.  Good.  I was feeling pretty lazy!

Ron did not get a good day's work out of me.  I did what had to be done and that's it.

The other vendors were shocked to see me, and gave me a meowing birthday card.  I thought it was great.  I love it.

All in all, a good day at work, especially after the fizzy headache stuff.

I have encountered a couple of sick employees at work the last week or so.  I find that a little un-nerving.  I don't want to get sick.

I couldn't take my usual immune system supplements because I had an iffy stomach.  I wasn't queasy but I have a rule: nothing in the stomach until I am thirsty and hungry.  It works.

When I break that rule, I suffer.

So, off to Walmart.  Ron was unhappy we were there quite a while.  I think he slept in his wheelchair.  I put him out of the way.

I shopped a little.  My 22W pants are pretty baggy.  I can take them off without unfastening them.  I just washed them so they're not stretched.  However, the smaller size is not good, and I realized I prefer a higher waistband.

Being a "larger" size, I'll have to take whatever I get, but the image in the mirror was pretty awful..  I'm not into a "skinny 20W" yet.  I don't see how such a size can exist.  All this takes time and I was glad I had the time.  I feel like my underwear is getting baggy but I need to get out the tape measure. 

I did buy a pair of jeggings.  In the 18-20W size.  They fit nicely and are cute.  They'll be great unloading a truck because they have 7% spandex, and I am tired of baggy pants.  These seem fine to me, modest enough (especially since I wear t-shirts with a long hem).

I also got a cake, lemon with a glaze.   My aunt had called, she kept trying to talk me into a cheesecake, but it just sounded revolting.

Ron wanted cashews, I got them.  He always pays for his own stuff.  I also got some stuff for work, about $12 worth (chicken salad kits, and cup a noodles).  Halloween candy - candy corn taffy, 3 bags (2 for Halloween, and one for handing out as Driver Candy).  I also got some small Hershey's to hand out on Halloween.  The good stuff always sells out well in advance of the holiday.  I got some deli meat, tuna, fake crab, mayo, dill relish, and lemon pepper.  I see a lot of sandwiches next week.  Of course I got bread. 

Doc told me I need to eat a lot of salt, so I got the refrigerated dill pickle spears.  Yum.  Sugar snap peas, one of the few vegetables I like.  Celery to make tuna salad.  Ice cream.

I packed it all into 3 reusable shopping bags (work took one by itself).    We went outside in the heat to await our ride, which was half an hour late.

She had a huge attitude and parked about 100 feet from us.  She got out and yelled at us to "come over".

Have you ever towed a blind man in a wheelchair hanging on with his good hand, to the shopping cart with the groceries?  I did it.

She loaded Ron.  [Edit: Ron said she was incredibly rude to him, shouting at him.  Had I heard or known that - things would have gotten EPIC.]

I loaded the groceries.

She told me that "wouldn't work" and I had to move them, because she was getting another wheelchair.  OK.  Got it.  I pushed everything over to the left (driver's) side of the vehicle.  Any wheelchair could pass.

I attempted to shut the door, my work done.  No, she grabbed the door (the back emergency exit) and refused to shut it.  She surveyed the 3 bags and again said that "Wouldn't work, you have to move them."

Had she explained the next customer weighed over 500 pounds, in a massive electric wheelchair, I might have understood what she wanted.  She didn't say that.  She just stood there with the door open and a very loud alarm buzzing.

Ron got upset.  I kept asking her "Where do you want me to put the groceries?  Just point and I'll move them."  She wouldn't point.  She just stood there glaring at me.

Ron became progressively more agitated.  His head injury does not like loud buzzing noises.  He kept asking her, with increasing urgency, to shut the door.

She'd say "Not until she moves the groceries."

I'd say "Show me where you want them (by pointing) and I'll put them there."  I didn't want to play the "move the groceries/that's not right either, you have to move them" game anymore.

She just stood there glaring.  So Ron got up and headed over to shut the door himself.  I told him "She's blocking the door" and coaxed him to sit down, but he was very upset.

I finally got smart, got out my cell phone, and put it on video record.  I told her "I'm recording this" as I did so.  I asked her again where she wanted the groceries, so we could please shut the door.

How to stop a bully

I'm going to remember that the next time the driver wants to play power games: get out the phone, set it on video, and make sure they know I'm recording.  

A few seconds into the video, she realizes she has "lost" the game, slams the door, and stomped off.  She then had a screaming tantrum we can hear inside the van, literally stomping her feet and shouting at a supervisor, (poor supervisor) for a good 10 minutes.  She was talked into coming back and driving us home.  After she picks up Mr. Big.  There is no way to get Ron's wheelchair out around Mr Big. who literally takes up the entire back of the vehicle.  She called and asks the dispatcher to rearrange the trips (I agreed, silently).  The dispatcher does so, we go maybe 5 minutes out of the way, no drama unloading Ron.

Now, as you may know my cat, Baby Girl, only loves me when I come home.  The rest of the time I really don't exist to her.

When I get home, she wants her tummy rub.  

Normally I carry my bags up to the house and then pay her attention.  Today I dropped everything in the driveway (the big vans park in the street) and gave her just what she wanted.

I didn't care what the driver thought of me "making" Ron get up the driveway by himself.  I was spending quality time with my Baby Girl.

Ron has a trick, he turns backward and propels himself up the driveway, backward, with his good foot.  He's very good at it now and it gives him some exercise.  

I came in, headache was lurking - not surprising considering the stress levels - and took another fizzy thing.  I took my nap (still not hungry).  I slept for a little over an hour and then got up.

I got on the computer first because Ron wants to see the video.

After I post this I'm going to finish my God Time, then make a salad.

When Ron gets up we'll order some pizza to celebrate. 

Edit: we had a lovely meal.  I opened my present from my parents: a hardback Daily Chronological NKJV Bible.  

No comments: