Monday, September 1, 2014

They keep me busy

I like work. 

I can honestly say that: I like work. 

I like our hours, most times we avoid all rush hour traffic. 

I like 99.5% of our customers.  The worst we get, generally, is a dubious refund, someone telling us how to run the business, or someone wanting freebies. 

But I'm not going to talk about the things I don't like. 

I like going in and discovering what people bought.  What they didn't buy, and adjusting the purchases accordingly. 

I have a hot and spicy gang with a nearly insatiable appetite for fiery treats; but I also have middle aged white ladies, like myself, who only go as wild as an Original Ruffle.  So I have to stock both. 

I have gourmet coffee drinkers, and guys who will drink anything that comes out of the vending machine.  I have Coke heads, Pepsi addicts, and plenty of Dews. 

We have "McRib" (term coined by a customer for our frozen riblike BBQ sandwich) lovers, and those who want a chicken salad wedge. 

I like the machine mix: I have 3 snack machines (all different), a coffee vending machine, two cold food vendors - but not the same type, three very different canned soda machines, a bubble gum machine - old school mechanical, and two bill changers. 

They keep me busy, as Ron says "10 different computers".  He's exactly right. 

I like doing manual labor, to my surprise.  People always accused me of being "lazy", but I can load and unload a truck full of merchandise, and do so regularly. 

I doubt many "average" people could.  Generally a lackey is hired to do the grunt work. 

I like helping Ron with the sodas, getting him what he needs and helping to stock the higher parts as he sits in his wheelchair. 

He may or may not get fully upright.  I'm OK with that.  Overall he is healthy.  He stated it pretty well, he can take care of his personals, not in any pain unless he tries to stand up, so he doesn't want to risk surgery or anything. 

I agree. 

A knee doctor told me once "It never works as well after the operation".  I agree.  My "bad" knee resolved itself pretty well.  I'm careful.  I'm not in any pain.  It healed up fine. 

Maybe the antioxidants? 

At any rate, Ron has a job a blind man (a determined one) can do in a wheelchair.  I have a job I can do with my problems, in a facility where wierdness may not be embraced, but it is tolerated. 

No comments: