Friday, September 12, 2014

Private Property

I had a rather alarming discussion this week. 

A guy told me he was going to do evangelism "Like you do, Heather!"

I had a vision of the man holding a Free Bibles sign in the ghetto, and asked exactly what he meant.  "I'm going to share Jesus, just like you do!"

I asked point blank if he was going to hand out Bibles on a median.

No, he said, he had something better.  He was going to [accost customers outside a store and ask them if they knew Jesus].

I was horrified, and asked a few questions to clarify, but I'd heard correctly.

"You can't do that" I told him "It's private property."

"Yes, I can." he replied.

"Trust me," I replied.  "You can't evangelize on private property." 

Legal facts for evangelists:  http://www.pinpointevangelism.com/OpenAirRights.pdf

"Oh, the store knows we are doing this."

"Do you have permission?"  

No, of course not.

So, he's going onto private property and corralling random strangers to query them if they know Jesus.  I hate to say it, but it sounds like a disaster.

The world has rules.

1.  We cannot witness on private property unless we have permission from the owner or their agent (for instance, a store manager).  If said agent asks us to leave at any time, we must.  Written (and photocopied) permission is best. 

2.  We have pretty free rein on public property, for now (example, my beloved medians), as long as we don't: impede the flow of traffic (sidewalk, parking lot, or street), touch people or their vehicles, or accept money (it makes a far better witness if you don't, anyway).  That said, if someone wants a hug, I'm hugging them. 

3. God taught me this one using a very nasty JW - if someone declines, accept graciously, give them a real smile, and move on.  They aren't ready yet.  It's nothing against you, they're just not ready yet.  I will offer once, and then move on if they decline.  I might grin at them and waggle a Bible as I pass by going back to the intersection, but that's it.

Don't get an attitude.  Please practice evangelism with family and friends, using some very rude rejections,  to get the hang of it.  If you get nasty at them you ruin your witness.  I've had people blow smoke in my face, treat me like a beggar, etc... but I keep smiling because I know they aren't ready yet.  On at least one occasion, I had a man accept a Bible, saying "I've been seeing you for ages, I guess I'll take one now."  Think of all the times he must have driven past, shook his head, or waved me off like a gnat. 

But, on those occasions, I accepted his rejection and didn't pester him.  Don't pester, don't get an attitude. 

All that said, I'll tell  you about two ministries. 

One ministry involves a woman holding up a Free Bibles sign, standing on a median, in the ghetto.  She's been doing it for years.  She has handed out well over 3 thousand Bibles.  Most of the cars do not want a Bible, but she isn't going for them anyway.  She wants to share her faith with the lost, unreached, and hurting. 

That's me. 

I have a friend in Dallas.  He, friends, and family, dress up like characters from Star Wars and go to big public gatherings.  People approach them, conversations start, and tracts distributed.  I think it's a great ministry.  They can hand out thousands of tracts in one day. 

Why are these ministries "successful"?  One, we're surrendered to God, doing what He has for us.  Two, we're doing this to reach people, not condemn them.  Three, God has given us unique "hooks" that draw the recipients to us.  Four, we color within the lines.  I know my friend is acutely aware of all public regulation regarding evangelism. 

As we reach out, we need to seek God's will and not our own, and understand we do live in a world full of rules and regulations.  We need to realize God can work and do amazing things in spite of all of that, and use even the most broken of us to build His Kingdom. 

 


No comments: