Thursday, September 18, 2014

I want to control my content

When depressed, I often encounter the "I'm so depressed, negative and boring." line of thinking.   

However, my hit counter (about 2800 views a month) says y'all like me anyway.  Yes, it's a popularity contest.  I admit that.  It makes me happy to see lots of hits, although I don't think I'll ever get the 7K hits I did the month our house was robbed back in December 2012. 

Today: got up, shower, no energy or motivation for God time.  We had some pretty severe downpours and some minor street flooding.  We are due for more rain, too. 

Baby Girl has become more "my" cat, although Torbie does sleep with me on occasion.  I'll take what I get. 

Ron and I had made a date to go to House of Fries.  I saw it after a Bible Handout a while back and I've been interested to sample the menu. 

Of course, I took this along: 
My afternoon meds.  Clearly I take some supplements in addition to the prescriptions.  The pink capsules are lithium, the small orange tablet's my Haldol.  The Depakote is in there but hiding. 

I've realized some of the drivers are (hate to say it) lazy.  They will let Ron out of his wheelchair, but then refuse to tie the wheelchair down.  It gets damaged.  This happened to Ron's "new" wheelchair, just bought this year, and now it has a bad brake, making it unusable on paratransit. 

Thankfully Ron has an "old" chair, but many drivers act like "Oh, it has good brakes, just set the brakes and forget it."  No, they can't do that.  The wheelchair will flip, run into the back of the seats, etc.  It makes horrible crashing noises every time the driver accelerates, or brakes. 

Asking them to tie it down has resulted in drivers outright lying to me, saying they did, then lying again when it starts crashing around in the back.  When I opened the back and looked, it hadn't been tied down at all. 

With a passenger riding, the wheelchair requires 4 tie downs and a cross-body seatbelt.  We ask them to please use 2 tie downs.  Many get a massive attitude - so I've realized I have to stand at the back of the minivan, like a policeman, "reminding" them to tie down the wheelchair.  Ensuring they do. 

Ron cannot get around without the wheelchair.  Why are people so careless? 

I understand, a lot of the drivers are obese, it's difficult for an obese person to do the bending and reaching required to tie down a wheelchair - but maybe your refusal to exercise got you obese?  And why would you take a job requiring certain physical actions if you're really incapable of performing them? 

They are NOT going to buy us a new wheelchair, that's for certain.  I've begged Ron to please just ride in the wheelchair, forcing the driver to secure it, but he says it's very bumpy.  He also had a hearing impairment and cannot hear any conversation if he's riding in the back.  Agh. 

Anyway, I've been standing out in the rain, a lot, lately, policing the drives, acting like a bitch in their eyes, I'm sure.  Getting soaked while the driver is nice and dry in the wheelchair compartment.

I'm not angry or bitter about it, just resigned and a little frustrated that no one seems to take pride in doing a good job, anymore.

I'm going to make some fruit punch.

OK, I'm back.  Ron's been very appreciative, by the way.  I really appreciate it.  He acts like it's such a big deal to "take care of him".  It isn't, really.  He doesn't require much more than an "normal" husband.

Laundry
Shopping
Pet care
Check the mail 
All that is the same.

The only difference is pushing him in the wheelchair.  Not a big deal and, we both agree, easier than me guiding him.  That requires a lot of (mine at least) brain processing.  I have to be aware of my location, and Ron's positionally.  I have to move in the three dimensional space while maintaining constant awareness of obstacles and uneven flooring, while maintaining positional awareness for both of us.

Much easier to push him in a wheelchair.

So, we went to House of Fries.  It's on Antoine, not far from where I do Bible Handouts.


I checked it on the health department website - it was fine.  Reviews were consistently good.

We went, even in the rain.

I got this:
Here it is exposed:  
 
 I adore curly fries.  Options: curly, battered (Ron's choice), standard, waffle, and sweet potato.  I could have ordered a basket of fries topped with delicious meats, cheeses, onions, and peppers.  I opted for a standard bacon cheeseburger, minus the onion, curly fries. 

They have several dipping sauces for the fries.  I went with honey mustard (so did Ron).  Ron added jalapenos to his burger. 

It was delicious.  The bacon was perfect, thick, crisp, and tasty.  The toppings were good and didn't detract from the burger. 

I gave them a review on Google plus:  Yes, I know it has my real name.

Menu, if you're blessed enough to live in Houston:  Check out the low prices!

Overall, VERY happy. Ron swore we were coming back. 

The manager was really nice.  I liked him a lot.  The employees all appeared to be well-treated, diligent, and happy. 

I hate eating somewhere and you hear the manager screaming at people.  Or the people are insolent and rude.  Not here. 

Best of all, it's on a bus line.  Like I told Ron "If you dropped dead tomorrow I could still get here on the bus"  He laughed. 

Google offered me the opportunity, a while back, to "monetize" my blog - to put ads and get paid if y'all clicked.  I decided that wasn't something that interested me. 

In my view, when a blog goes commercial it whores.  Suddenly "clean eating health nuts" are sporting ads for GMO energy bars.  A blog like mine would probably have ads for "bad" churches. 

I want to control my content.  If I have something nice to say about a business I will say it.  No one's paying me so you know it's clearly "my" opinion. 

That's just me.  I don't fault people for trying to make a buck but you won't see it here.

So, we ate.  We sat around for an embarrassingly long time afterward, waiting on Metrolift.  The manager was very nice about it, though.  I bought a delicious cookie.  I found out they have free refills but didn't abuse it. 

I intend to avoid all caffeine after 12 PM.  It messes with my illness. 

Remember the other night, when I heard all that strange rumbling?  Ron had mocked me a little but he woke up later that night and heard it too. 

Now, say what you want about my husband, and you can say a lot, good and bad: one night, years ago, back when he could walk a little: he actually staggered as far as he could down the road because he heard the rumbling noise and wanted to locate the source, and stop it.  He almost fell and barely made it home. 

But he did what to most would be a marathon physical exertion, to "protect" me. 

"I almost went in my wheelchair to track it" he told me the other night "But I figured you'd get upset."  Uh, YEAH! 

He said he did hear it and it's industrial.  We have a new (couple years) industrial park on the other side of the bayou, not a quarter mile away.  They do a lot of manufacturing at night, apparently, which results in erratic, loud, rumbles at night... pretty low grade but enough to "disturb" the "disturbed". 

That is, if I had too much caffeine.  So, I'm avoiding it. 

Ron reminds me they are keeping out property taxes down. 

It's not bad 360 days a year.  And I think the other 5 nights, even a quiet room would be too noisy in some way. 

In the cat department, Torbie sleeps with me occasionally, and Baby Girl is hanging out nearby more and more often.  I think we're getting more bonded. 

I did not bond to her at first, I saw her as a pestiferous little interloper, disturbing my Bubba.  I had promised Bubba I wouldn't get any more cats and now Ron, and this thing, had made me a liar.  She was too hyper, only cuddled Ron, and kept trying to sleep in my bed - and I rolled over on her one time too many.  She gave up on me. 

Now, though, as Torbie bonds more to Treat Man, Baby Girl is sliding over towards me.  I value her.  I cherish her.  I respect her.  I often find her sleeping in this doorway as I work on the computer. 

She's been guarding the cat door.  I think something tried to get in. 

I set up the ingredients for my dump cake: 
2 cans mixed berry fruit pie filling (two, 20 ounce cans)
1 box cake mix (I had butter pecan)
1 stick butter, cut up, will remain in the fridge until cooking time. 

I'll dump the fruit in a 9x13 pan, then the cake mix and butter on top.  Cook it for (let me check) 50 minutes at 350 (preheat).  Easy. 

Something I can cook, even depressed.  Best of all I have disposable cake pans!  I can throw out all the dishes! 

It ought to be good. 



No comments: