Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Demonic chew toy.

My hives came back. 

I think I know what happened, but first I need to explain the paratransit service. 

The service has two basic types of vehicle, a converted minivan, seating for 4 passengers plus one wheelchair, or a "short bus" with seating for several wheelchairs and "ambulatories".  The big vans have a lot of flexibility, they can do all wheelchair, all ambulatory, or anything in between.  They are also good if I have a package. 

I presume the big vans are cleaned daily. They are always clean looking and in good shape.  Vinyl seats clean pretty easy, too. 

We usually ride in a converted minivan, even with Ron in the wheelchair.  They are subcontracted from the cab company, to the drivers, with a scheduled route.  They are not cleaned as often, if at all.  They have fabric seats, often stained and dirty.  I try not to notice - just enough to see if it has a fresh stain.   

I have various allergies, including almonds.  Many women riding are constantly applying lotion so they don't get "ashy".  They have very dry skin.  I understand the perceived need to do this while on public transit.  I don't believe it's appropriate. 

Why?  The underside of my right forearm, is covered in hives, exactly where I'd set it on the armrest.  It's pretty awful to wake up itching. 

If I had to guess, I'd say a woman applied lotion containing almond oil to her arms while riding in the vehicle, then rested her arm on the armrest.  I came along, sat down, and set my arm in the resdue of the almond oil lotion. 

Pretty horrifying when you think about it, and one reason I absolutely believe Ron and I will be exposed to pandemic viruses if they make it to Houston.  Paratransit is a petri dish of cross-contamination.   

Happily, my 5-year old steroid cream is still working.  Well enough, at any rate. 

I've been battling depression AND working crazy hours.  If you ever wonder why I didn't post either  or both are at play. 

I also have the broken toe, it's OK as long as I don't bump it.  I can walk, work, sleep fine.  It's not affecting me now. 

I started my cycle, the usual horrible cramps and heavy one-day flow, then basically nothing.  I could get used to that. 

I had a horrible headache the day I started my cycle - I need to plan to have that day off, if possible.  I basically curled up in a ball, that day.   Hate that.  If I am headed for menopause I'd ask it to hurry. 

Monday we went in for a few hours, checked on the machines, made sure everyone was working.  I stocked a little (didn't need much) and Ron and I went home happy it was done.  We felt a lot better taking the rest of the day off, knowing we could. 

Yesterday we went in and worked 12 hours. I pulled a pectoral muscle right below my shoulder.  It's been pretty bad.  I could barely get my t-shirt over my head last night. 

Today, I bought some larger sized ones to make for easier removal.  I slept horribly, when I got to bed (neighbor kids playing out back). 

Not surprisingly, pretty depressed today as a result.  I just feel like a demonic chew toy.  I have many blessings: the house is fine, the business is fine.  Ron's health is fine save some neuropathy.  The cats are healthy and loving.  All our systems are working at home and at work.  I have wonderful, effective medication.  We live in America, we have good transportation (considering, compared to other countries).  We live in Houston, Texas, the place I've wanted to live since I was 10! 

It's just work worries plus the various physical things, throw in some depression to boot.  I understand that.  I know I am not the most persecuted person ever.  I just feel munched. 

I read a horrible story how a Christian nurse was abducted from her home and gang-raped by muslims.  Thank God I don't have that in my life.  Please pray for her. 

That's persecution. 

Today wasn't too bad.  We got up really early and went to Walmart.  I got what I needed and we came home.  We went to the bank.  That took a while.  We got some takeout and went home.  I ate, took my meds, and had a nap.  I didn't sleep as well as I'd like due to muscle cramping and pain. 

I love to sleep on one side or another.  [sigh]  Can't do that right now.  I can only imagine how it must be for someone who's been shot.  They'd have to take the serious pain pills just to get some rest! 

Tomorrow is truck day.  We need the inventory.  It will be a little tricky with my chest.  I'm going to pray on that. 

I do hope Ron made the trips. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys need a weekend "away"