Monday, September 29, 2014

9 inches in the flood plain

I slept really badly last night, got up at 2 AM, and went to work. 

I managed to wheedle a driver into permitting me to take my magliner on the vehicle, to work.  The handcart had lived in my garage for the last year, and I really needed it at work.  We strapped it down and a friend took it in while I pushed the wheelchair.  

I worked a long day, getting 2 deliveries and putting away half a pallet of soda (40 cases, 24 cans each).  It took me two hours just to stock snacks.  My label gun ran out.  I had to hand write expiration dates on stickers and apply them to the merchandise.  I've done it before, it's kosher, but the customers aren't quite as eager to buy - which, considering my pathetic pastry level, is a good thing. 

Our sandwich guy was on time, and the soda guy was late.  But I got them and stocked/stored them.  I had a heck of a time wedging the handcart into my area when I left.  I should have brought some vaseline! 

We went home after work and had a turnaround trip to a fast food location.  Ron waited while I took some care packages to the post office.  I also had our flood insurance premium.  $1000, 'cause we're nine inches in the flood plain.  OUCH. 

At least it's a pretty decent policy. 

I found it ironic: after working at the Postal Processing and Distribution center - "where the mail goes after you mail it" I say, I had to stand in line for half an hour.  So my mail could go to work. 

I reminded myself I'm doing God's work, and my feet didn't hurt.  Tired, but not hurting.  My little squishy insoles are great.  I'll get the name tomorrow at Walmart. 

I finished just in time to run back to the restaurant and get a snack before going home. 

Home at last, I got another tummy rub from Baby Girl (spotted tabby in photos), and went to bed.  I took a nap for a couple of hours, woke up, and finally got to my God Time. 

Then I turned on the computer. 

It's been an interesting day on a couple of levels.  Today, Dad entered the hospital.  He's getting treatment for pretty severe atrial fibrillation, a heart condition. 

He will be in the hospital for a few days.  It's a good hospital.  Small chance of "complications". 

Still, I don't like having Dad in the hospital.  If nothing else you've got all those megabugs running around - I don't want him catching something. 

Then I remind myself God made Dad, and loves him a lot more than I do. 

No comments: