Sunday, July 27, 2014

Pink Handout

Some of the recipients saw me singing along with "Gimme Dat" and dancing on the corner as I waved the Free Bibles sign. 

I wore pink today.  Someone sent me a pink safety vest, and I had a hot pink sign.  I took them both. 

I had a case with a little over 60 Bibles.  I had a feeling it would be a *better* day. 

I was right. 

For one, we had a great ride.  The driver was wonderful and enjoyed eating his ice cream as he drove. 

He also took Antoine.  I have been wanting a "new" spot in Acres Homes.  Gulf Bank @ Antoine was suggested, but I saw for myself it was a horrible median.  Victory, or West Tidwell, are much better.  I always hear of people getting shot over by Tidwell. 

When the driver realized my plan, he slowed down so I could investigate each option.  Once I saw Tidwell, though, I was very happy. 

We got out and I got Ron locked and loaded.  I had a little trouble pushing him - I kept bumping into jagged parts of the sidewalk.  The impacts nearly caused Ron to drop the case! 

I saw a lot of people begging in the vicinity.  When they saw us they realized we were competition of some sort, and began glaring. 

Welcome to Fondren. 

I got over to our median, happily empty, and setup.  The drivers began gaping as I donned my pink safety vest and unrolled my hot pink Free Bibles sign. 

I handed out my first Bible within a few minutes.  We worked for over an hour (we arrived early).  I handed out 40, but 50 total (more on that). 

I had a cheerleading section this time.  At one point, an older black lady rolled down her window to gape at me.  I headed over and she waved me off, nicely.  I backed up and headed over to a latino lady who wanted 2.  As I handed them over, the older lady began yelling encouragement.  I thought it was very sweet - she even pumped her fist at me and waved as she drove off! 

She had an interesting story to tell at church! 

I heard a car honking to my left as I worked.  I waved in the general direction and went back to work.   They began honking again, and shouting.  I looked back and 3-4 young asians were hanging out of the car windows, waving and grinning! 

I had a couple other cars, clearly Christians, wave and grin as they saw me. 

This is what they saw:



I had some recipients who were a lot of fun: one Nigerian guy had his window down (poor people never have power windows, or air conditioning, making them easy to serve).  I had just found a FOE/BIC mixtape (Gospel Rap made with artist's permission) CD.  I asked if he liked rap, he said yes.  I asked how many Bibles he'd like, he said one.  I handed the CD over along with the New Testament. 

He took it, but looked at me reluctantly.  "But I don't have any money" he said apologetically. 

"Good!" I replied briskly!  "I wouldn't take it!"  I grinned at him, told him I'd be praying daily, and headed off as he thanked me. 

Another lady really wanted 2 Bibles.  Her car was in such bad condition she had to open her car door to receieve them, but said she didn't have any money.  I told her the same thing as she gaped at me. 

Southwest has a rather aggressive panhandler population.  I have discovered I have to stand back about 10 feet from the curb so the cars feel "safe" approaching. 

Of course I had people who said no.  One said he didn't want a Bible because he wasn't a Christian.  I said he could always read it and make his own decision.  He made a blunt refusal and drove off. 

A panhandler stopped working his corner and came to watch us for a while.  After about 15 minutes, I felt led to go over to him.  "I don't want no Bible" he said. 

As I turned to go back to Ron, I saw a man get out of his car and head over to Ron (whom I'd left alone), attempting to give him money!  I started yelling no repeatedly and got over there. 

I told him "We don't want money, we want to give you this!" as I handed over the last whole Spanish Bible. 

Ron's talking book machine acts as a boom box if you have a flash drive containing music.  I brought my music. 

One of my favorite Bible Handout songs is Gimme Dat by Ambassador.  Ron laughed as I sang and danced the first time. 

About 45 minutes later, I'm tired.  I'm hot.  My brains are cooked.  Everyone's waving me off like a gnat.  He cued it up again and all the people who'd just said no got treated to a little show! 

http://youtu.be/rytwGHd3iDw



I think people are getting used to me now.  Instead of gaping in alarm, they're chuckling at me and grinning at the crazy Bible lady. 

Good.  Like I told Ron, nearly everyone who laughs at me will also take a Bible! 

I was about run out.  I decided to hand out two more Bibles and then wrap it up. 

I handed out one. 

Then a guy from church came running up.  He saw me as he rode past on the bus.  He got off and came over, wanting to help. 

"I'll set you up!" I told him.  I gave him a plastic bag with a sack of Bibles, Ron's sign, and my extra "Garment of praise"  (safety vest) 

To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”
 
He ran off to another corner.  I restocked my own Bibles and watched him work for a minute.  "He's a natural" I told Ron. 
 
I started getting dizzy - almost out of Bibles, I decided to wrap it up.  In the meantime, our church friend had distributed 10 Bibles of his own.   That's what I meant 40 + 10. 
 
"I had a lot of fun" he told me.  "I'd love to do it again".  I could tell he meant it. 
 
I went to the gas station and got a couple of large Diet sodas (I had drunk a quart of powerade on the way to the handout spot).  As I pushed Ron back to the church, someone honked and pulled in.  I got out a Bible, figuring someone had doubled back for a Bible after all. 
 
Nope, it was my aunt and uncle.  She took the photo.  We talked for a while, figured the wheelchair would fit in their trunk, and agreed to meet for lunch after church. 
 
We had fun. 

2 comments:

Mark said...

You use paratransit to do bible handouts? This isn't the devil speaking honey but that isn't right I am sorry. If you do please don't publish it. Because people go with out service who need it and while you may believe you are doing a public service..and in a way I believe you do..religion and hospitals are great for folks who need them..please do not tie free transit for people who really need it to get to appointments ..it makes other people struggle. Thank you . I only speak what I know

Heather Knits said...

Mark. PEOPLE USE PARATRANSIT TO GO TO GAY BARS. People use it to go to GAME ROOMS, STRIP CLUBS, and liquor stores.

People use paratransit to go to church. It's not for you to decide which "appointment" is more important than another.

The service will take ANY client, and their caregiver, if one is needed, ANYWHERE in the service area, during the hours of operation, as long as 1. The client makes the rides at least a day in advance. 2. The client and provider are ready on time. 3. They provide proper fare.

Had you read my post, you would have seen I took paratransit to church, did the handout, and then went back to church. We cancelled our pickup (over 2 hours in advance, per policy) and my aunt and uncle took us out to lunch and then home.

How about we let METROLIFT decide what I can and can't do?

If they ever said no, I would go right to riding the bus, which you would probably also find offensive and objective.

Ron is the paratransit client and WELL QUALIFIED several times over. Many people are riding who are not qualified to ride - I've seen them. They just want a "free" taxi service.

The only reason I get to ride - I am a "provider" for Ron who deals with him before and after the ride. I also keep him behaving DURING the ride, not always an easy thing.

You're the one who freaked because I "might" have given a Bible to a child without parental permission (you didn't read my post that time either), so I don't credit what you say anyway.

Remember, if you don't like what I have to say you can always delink the bookmark. [tips hat]

People don't get the service because "they are sick". People get the service because they are sick, AND UNABLE TO RIDE THE BUS ALONE. If one of your friends is able to drive, or ride the bus, they do not qualify for services. Take it up with Metrolift if you have an issue.

If you or a friend is having a hard time "getting to appointments" then they need to make *appointment times* and get there early.

Don't throw rocks at me. I have enough in my life without you.