Monday, July 14, 2014

Cologne man

I battled the migraine, and insomnia, all night long, well knowing I had to get up at 2 AM. 

Torbie came to bed around 10 and I fell asleep almost instantly.  I've written about this before: for me, a cat in the bed ensures swift, excellent sleep. 



I hated to get up, but the migraine was lurking.  I took a shower and did my God Time, my faithful Torbie at my side. 

She jumps up on the couch when I sit down.  I give her the glucosamine treats (2).  I do my prayer and Bible study.  I probably give her a few standard treats along the way, along with plenty of petting.  She lays against my leg, purring. 

It's wonderful. 

If she's not there, for whatever reason, I proceed without her. 

I finished and took a hard look at my antidepressants.  I knew if I took them, they'd escalate my migraine and probably kick me into vomiting into a bucket. 

The customers do not want to see me vomiting into a bucket, and I'd rather avoid it anyway. 

We went to work.  It was a good ride, the coveted "straight trip".  When we got to work, I hurried to arrange my corner of the stockroom and remove my carts. 

"What's the rush?" Ron asked. 

"I want to get out of here before cologne man arrives." I replied.  "It's going to kill my headache." 

I am very sensitive to scents when I have, or am battling, a migraine, and strong perfume or cologne can actually flip me into extreme pain and vomiting.  One reason I very seldom wear scents. 

Besides, not long ago, I passed a driver as I sat down.  She was securing Ron's wheelchair.  "I like your perfume!" she told me. 

"It's my shampoo" I replied, and told her what I use. 

Sure enough, he arrived in full fragrance.  I could literally smell him enter the room.  I avoided him as much as possible.  He may think it's due to the drama last week. 

The old don't-you-dare-tip-my-guy-for-helping-you. 

So. 

They arrived and the other vendor was unusually jolly.  If Ron and I are right, maybe he's taking his medication again.  Or maybe God worked on him. 

At any rate, I stocked (I am completely out of pastry), got sandwiches, and waited on Dr Pepper.  Ron had ordered about 50 cases.  Ron had arranged an earlier pickup.  I tell him, I don't mind waiting a little , but he doesn't listen. 

He has to figure it out himself.  The guy arrived just in the nick of time (thanks God) and I set him up with things I know he likes.  I got him a meatball sub, a Dr Pepper, some chips, and a scratch-and-dent bag of Peanut M&M's.  "I got a full course feast!" he said as he grabbed the box.  "Thanks!" 

I always, ALWAYS, always want us to be the fun place where they get spoiled rotten: deliverymen, repairmen, you name it.  Food, drink, and sincere appreciation for their hard work helping us make a living.  Ron is in full agreement. 

One reason I like working for him; he understands it's important to support our service providers. If they want to, they can make our lives a living hell.  I want to thank them for going over and above to get us quality product in a timely fashion. 

And it's a thankless job.  I want to show some appreciation.

My migraine crawled off right before Dr Pepper, which is good because I had to put it away!  Heavy lifting really sucks with a migraine. 

Finally done.  Everything looked great (except for pastry). 

We came home, I took a nap for a couple hours.  The headache was taunting me again.  Oversleeping can cause and aggravate migraines. 

Ugh. 

At least I got some good reading out of the headache. 

Yesterday, at church, I placed my Handout crate (my supplies in a folding crate, rolled up sign, etc.) next to a table with a display of books.  One of them had the title "Harvest". 

I picked it up and read the back.  Missionary biographies, work being done for Jesus.  It looked very interesting. 

After church I was talking to one of the elders and asked if I could borrow the book.   He chuckled, because the book's on evangelism and I'd just finished telling him about the Handout.  "You can keep it, Heather." 

I'm bringing it back, I don't need to keep it, but it is interesting reading. 

A couple of interesting points:
Never asked for money or supplies.  Ever. 
Like George Muller, trusted God to supply if the plan was in His will. 

It definitely validates my decision: I don't ask for money.  God works on people and they send me money or Bibles.  Money is spent on Bibles.  Bibles are handed out.  People prayed for and hopefully saved. 

When I got up from my nap, I found a strange bag in the mailbox.  I don't know if you get a lot of packages, but Swanson Vitamins, and other places, now ship in heavy duty plastic bags.  I guess they're easier to freight than boxes. 

I looked at the return address.  "Jacksonville Warehouse".  Hm.  Ominous. 

I opened it anyway.  It was a pink reflective vest. 

I'd mentioned it on Facebook, and put up a link.  One of my friends made a comment "done".  Huh? 

I forgot she had my address. 

It's done alright.  [laugh]  I sent her a gracious thank you note. 

It's really cute and will be a lot of fun during a Handout.  It's attentiongetting without being quite so manic as the orange. 

Ron and I plan to do a Handout, in the future, with a guy from church.  He can wear the orange vest and I can wear the pink one.  Ron refuses to wear any safety apparel. 

Tomorrow, we run to Walmart, come home, and then work.  I prefer to "do" Walmart, 1. early morning, and 2. on a work day so I don't feel it "ate" my day off. 

Ron's very accomodating. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THAT IS QUITE THE TUMMY THERE ON YOUR KITTY! lolol cute!