Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Bringing Daddy home

Our friend who works for the other vendor busted his butt for us today.  He went above and beyond to make sure we got a key for the stockroom. 

I can't share all the details, but he took about an hour out of his day, on his day off.  That's a good friend. 

We got up early and went to the warehouse.  We got some drinks (they didn't have Sprite, which we need!), and some snack items.  We went to work. 

I found out I couldn't get in the stockroom so I had to borrow the other guys' cart, which doesn't go out the door.  You can imagine the fun I had lugging all the stuff up the wheelchair ramp and putting it in the cart. 

Then Ron told me, "I need to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW."  I left the cart in the hall and got Ron to the bathroom.  When I came back someone was about to push it somewhere; I took it over and got my stuff put up, then came back for Ron. 

We had a turnaround trip to go to the warehouse, so we did that, got some more snack items, and came back.  I stocked.  Ron stocked what he could (a lot of the shelves and such are at a lower level and very workable for Ron).  I did what he couldn't. 

I added some new things, Jalapeno Kettle chips (I have a hot and spicy customer base), Detour bars (very good!), Famous Amos cookies, etc. 

"I feel OK having tomorrow off" I told Ron "Because they look good - all the machines look good".  They do. 

We got our stockroom key and I put my leftovers on my shelving.  Wow.  It's been a while since I could do that..  We really need to bring the second wheelchair home, though.  It causes problems. 

I interacted with some of the younger customers.  I'm glad they feel like they can ask me questions, make suggestions, get change, etc.  I want them to feel know I am available - that I'm there to serve them, not myself. 

Ron teases me, but I am passionate about customer service.  I want to serve them and provide them with a fantastic range of products and prices.  I want everyone to walk away delighted. 

The job has downsides, a lot of physical labor, brutal hours, disgusting cleanup (coffee machine, and microwaves), and some people who just aren't happy, no matter what I do.  But, overall, I think we and our business are well liked. 

I'm glad I don't work for the CPA in "richytown".  I had a lovely burgundy leather chair (probably cost $1000), and a cherrywood desk, in Bellaire.  That's probably the premium zip code in Houston.  But you know what?  I hated it. 

I can't talk about my job due to fidicuary rules - I have a committment to keep secrets, basically, but I found it tedious work.  I didn't go home feeling like I'd done a good day's work.  I worked pretty hard at that, but I didn't enjoy it or find it satisfying. 

Same with the other office jobs, generally speaking it felt more like pointless busywork and paper-pushing.  Some of my bosses were petty tyrants. 

Ron has always been appreciative of my work ethic.  Even at his worst he'd have told you I was a hard worker. 

I am, and Ron gives me a lot of leeway.  I enjoy it.  I enjoy watching someone pull money out of their pocket and buy a selection.  I like watching them walk away, eating it.  Even better, I love to watch them walk over to another machine and make another purchase! 

I always, always, thank them if I "catch" someone making a purchase.  I mean it.  Without them, I'm in the gutter.  They don't have to give me their money; but they do. 

Thank you! 

I wanted to do something nice for the man who had done so much for us, on his day off to boot.  So I took his dumpster out to the garbage compactor.  It's about half a mile one way.  He's more of an "Acts of Service" love language.  I left a voicemail on his home phone "I took out your garbage!  Or someone stole it!  You decide!  Thanks again for your help!" 

We rode with 2 drivers, training new drivers.  I found that interesting.  Ron's wheelchair got secured properly and that's what mattered.  I was so happy to get home. 

Ron's cat met me and laid down on her back, showing a beautiful spotted tummy.  I gave her a good tummy rub for a few minutes as she purred and rolled around, thanking me for bringing Daddy home. 

Then I took Ron in the front door.  If he's going to stay in this chair we need to get a ramp.  That's a big bump! 

No comments: